iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
By Erik Pineda | July 21, 2014 3:06 PM EST
The iPhone 6 release date could come very soon as Apple reportedly placed a giant order for new iPhone units this 2014, the bulk of which is expected to consist of the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models of the upcoming device.
Screenshot from YouTube Video
iPhone 6 in Sam Beckett's concept video
In a new report by DigiTimes, chief Apple supplier Foxconn is said tasked to produce around 120 million iPhones by the end of 2014 and the manufacturer is now on a hiring spree to meet the contract requirements.
"The (Foxconn) factory can reach output of 120 million iPhones ... in 2014," the report said, adding that the company is also set to supply millions of more handsets to other brands aside from Apple.
Up to 100,000 new workers will be recruited for Apple's 2014 iPhone thrust that is headlined by the latest build, said the same report. It is understood too that Foxconn will also manufacture the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C that according to analysts will serve as the budget device from the tech giant.
The same report appears to support earlier indications that mass production of the iPhone will commence or already started this July as Foxconn has received handset components worth $1 billion last month.
This backs earlier reports from Asia that the 64-bit A8 processing chip for the iPhone 6 has been delivered as early as June 2014 by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) to numerous assembly plants contracted by Apple in China.
Prior to Foxconn's ramped up manufacturing mode, another Apple manufacturing partner, Pegatron, was also reported gearing up for its share of iPhone 6 production contract, which is said to be around 20 per cent of the total orders that the iPhone maker has awarded.
The rest or 80 per cent will be handed by Foxconn.
The next iPhone is believed set for a grand rollout either in September 19 or 25 this year Apple insider Ming-chi Kuo has recently predicted that the 2014 launch will only be for the 4.7-inch build that is the replacement of the 4-inch iPhone 5S.
The 5.5-inch phablet-size model will come out later, Kuo claimed, pointing to the production issues that will delay debut.
The KGI Securities analyst offered a late 2014 outing for the larger iPhone 6 though he did not discount the possibility of a push back as far as January 2015 if only to ensure that sufficient supplies will be on hand once the device hits store shelves worldwide.
On release date, which likely will come very soon, the iPhone 6 will be powered by iOS 8 with a bevy of killer features such as a new form-factor, sapphire glass cover, wireless charging and Wi-Fi calling on select networks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports