Sony Xperia Z Android 4.4.2 KitKat Battery Issue, How to Resolve and Future Firmware Upgrade
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 2:42 PM EST
Android 4.4.4 KitKat update for Sony Xperia Z has been hinted by Australian network carrier Optus. Previous Android KitKat version on the handset was reported to have battery issue connected to Google Play Services. Will it be resolved on the upcoming software upgrade?
Upcoming Android 4.4.4 KitKat
Australian network carrier Optus hinted the upcoming Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware for Sony Xperia Z via AskOlivia. An image has been posted at XperiaBlog revealing the new firmware under "Android OS Tablet and Mobile Updates."
Android 4.4.4 for Sony Xperia C6603 is currently under testing phase and expected to rollout by the middle up to the end of July. However, such information revealed for Xperia Z may be a mistake on Optus' part claimed by XperiaBlog as this kind of carrier information is never a reliable source of information in most cases.
But users of Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z should not worry for they remain eligible. Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware was released recently as part of the Sony Mobile's software upgrade which started on Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact.
Battery Issue on Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Even with all the improvements and optimisations by Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Sony Xperia Z, a problem was found regarding its battery life which has been connected to Google Play Services.
"We have investigated the issue with Google Play Services using a lot of battery and we have identified that the root cause of this is related to the latest version of Google Play Services (4.4.92)," community manager Johan posted at Sony Mobile forums.
But Google recently released the 5.0 version of Play Services to all Android smartphones and tablets which delivers several changes on APIs, Drive and more. At this time, Sony Mobile can offer some workarounds on Xperia Z running Android 4.4.2 KitKat for users to lessen the impact of the battery problem.
1. Uninstallation of Google Play Services - version 4.4.92.
2. Update the Google Play Services to version 5.0.
3. Go to Settings > Google (accounts) > Ads > Tick the bot for "Opt out of interest-based ads."
4. Disable the automatic backup under the Settings menu.
5. Disable Android Device Manager under the Device Administrators.
6. Disable Automatic Updates in the settings on Google Play Store.
These tips are also useful on other Android devices in order to save more power regardless which version of Android or Google Play Services.
Android 4.4.4 KitKat is definitely coming on Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z according to their software upgrade plan. Users simply need to be patient until it is ready for rollout which already began on Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia Z Ultra.
Here are the details from Sony Mobile on what users of Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z may expect on Android 4.4.4 KitKat version:
1. Android 4.4.4 including the latest enhancements and security updates from Google
2. Updated and improved camera experience
3. Improvements to Google Voice, Contacts, music streaming and Google+
4. The latest versions of our Sony apps for you to enjoy
5. All of our latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]