Weightlifter Erika Ropati-Frost's Inspiration Is Her Sick Husband
By Afza Fathima | July 21, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Erika Ropati-Frost, weightlifter, on July 20, spoke about the battles that she and her husband, Tuvale faced, at Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games.
KYLIE MINOGUE: Australian pop star Kylie Minogue, 44, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and went through surgery and chemotherapy. Her 2006 "Showgirl Homecoming Tour" represented her comeback from cancer.
Initially, Tuvale thought all he had was a common cold, but was later diagnosed with cancer and just completed intensive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, in the sinus cavity. His weight has faced a massive hit, dropping from 137 to 112 kgs. His wife refused to leave his side in the hospital.
She was told by the hospital that the treatment her husband was undergoing was the toughest one.
She exclaimed that he was her rock and now she had to reverse roles with him. She continued that it was the hardest and one of the weakest stages in his life.
Ropati-Frost said, " Seeing Tuvale's weakened body - he had endured 35 days of radiation treatment - made it extremely hard leaving him for a year to travel to Glasgow, where she will be competing in the 53 kg division. I remember the day I left we both just broke down and I didn't want to leave ... and when they made the call for us to board to leave Brisbane it was just extremely emotional for me."
Her teammates, she said, are supportive and they keep asking her about his health's progress. His doctors have said that his disease is going to fade and that life is going to get easier. Her husband has been giving her emotional strength to perform well in the Commonwealth Games.
In the past, she participated in the 48 kg division, claiming the bronze medal in 2006 in Melbourne. She now is participating in the 53 kg category. She has self-belief that she will win a medal.
She said that she has tough competition but she believes she will stand on the podium.
She explained, "There's quite a few of us who might be able to sneak in for bronze, maybe a silver medal. It depends on what happens on the day but I can only have my fingers crossed and hopefully my hard work and preparation is going to give me some good results."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Medical Marijuana Ads In Canada Facing Crackdown: Health Canada Issues Warning Letters To 20 Licensed Producers
- HIV Treatment News: Largest Truvada Trial Happening In Australia
- Ebola Vaccine Shows High Immune System Response In Early Tests; Australia Lifts Travel Ban on Congo
- NSW Egg Stamping Now on Full-Scale Implementation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More