Weightlifter Erika Ropati-Frost's Inspiration Is Her Sick Husband
By Afza Fathima | July 21, 2014 2:33 PM EST
Erika Ropati-Frost, weightlifter, on July 20, spoke about the battles that she and her husband, Tuvale faced, at Glasgow during the Commonwealth Games.
KYLIE MINOGUE: Australian pop star Kylie Minogue, 44, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2005 and went through surgery and chemotherapy. Her 2006 "Showgirl Homecoming Tour" represented her comeback from cancer.
Initially, Tuvale thought all he had was a common cold, but was later diagnosed with cancer and just completed intensive chemotherapy and radiation treatment, in the sinus cavity. His weight has faced a massive hit, dropping from 137 to 112 kgs. His wife refused to leave his side in the hospital.
She was told by the hospital that the treatment her husband was undergoing was the toughest one.
She exclaimed that he was her rock and now she had to reverse roles with him. She continued that it was the hardest and one of the weakest stages in his life.
Ropati-Frost said, " Seeing Tuvale's weakened body - he had endured 35 days of radiation treatment - made it extremely hard leaving him for a year to travel to Glasgow, where she will be competing in the 53 kg division. I remember the day I left we both just broke down and I didn't want to leave ... and when they made the call for us to board to leave Brisbane it was just extremely emotional for me."
Her teammates, she said, are supportive and they keep asking her about his health's progress. His doctors have said that his disease is going to fade and that life is going to get easier. Her husband has been giving her emotional strength to perform well in the Commonwealth Games.
In the past, she participated in the 48 kg division, claiming the bronze medal in 2006 in Melbourne. She now is participating in the 53 kg category. She has self-belief that she will win a medal.
She said that she has tough competition but she believes she will stand on the podium.
She explained, "There's quite a few of us who might be able to sneak in for bronze, maybe a silver medal. It depends on what happens on the day but I can only have my fingers crossed and hopefully my hard work and preparation is going to give me some good results."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: Modified Gene Therapy Causing Resistance And Mysterious Enzyme Could Unlock Effective Treatment
- Kourtney Kardashian Thinks Pregnancy Nausea Should Not Be Called 'Morning Sickness' Because It Lasts All Day
- Text Neck Causes More Harm Than You Think
- Kourtney Kardashian Shares Tips On How To Find A Good Pediatrician For Your Kids
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Shares A Recipe For A Prenatal Power Breakfast Smoothie
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide