Divorce Can Lead to High Blood Pressure: Study Says
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 21, 2014 2:17 PM EST
When a relationship breaks, it affects two people the most who joined hands to make it once. A marriage can turn sour for innumerable reasons which may lead to divorce one day.
Apart from two broken hearts, a divorce also causes serious damage to individual health.
Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi (R) sits near a television monitor showing images of him and his wife Veronica Lario during the taping of television program Porta a Porta (''Door to door'' in Italian) in Rome May 5, 2009.
Right after separation, for following few months, it is probably expected to have a disturbed sleep pattern and this is usually regarded as an adjustment process that people can cope with well.
Latest study reveals divorce can lead to high blood pressure. The study will be published in a forthcoming issue of the journal Health Psychology.
"But sleep problems that persist for an extended period may mean that you are potentially becoming depressed, leaving you susceptible to health problems," said David Sbarra, an associate professor of psychology at University of Arizona, US.
This work involved studying 138 people who underwent divorce about 16 weeks before the prior to this study.
The subjects were asked to update on their quality of sleep and their blood pressure was also measured at regular interval.
"We saw changes in resting blood pressure were associated with sleep problems three months earlier. Earlier sleep problems predicted increases in resting blood pressure over time," Sbarra noted.
Through this research scientists also observed that the longer sleep trouble in people persisted after their separation, the more likely it were to cause an adverse effect on the blood pressure.
According to Kendra Krietsh, Sbarra's former people who continue to face persistent difficulties while sleeping following a divorce should find other alternatives to relax at night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Sex With 20 Women Or More Reduces Risk Of Prostate Cancer, Canadian Research Says
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family