Divorce Can Lead to High Blood Pressure: Study Says
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 21, 2014 2:17 PM EST
When a relationship breaks, it affects two people the most who joined hands to make it once. A marriage can turn sour for innumerable reasons which may lead to divorce one day.
Apart from two broken hearts, a divorce also causes serious damage to individual health.
Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi (R) sits near a television monitor showing images of him and his wife Veronica Lario during the taping of television program Porta a Porta (''Door to door'' in Italian) in Rome May 5, 2009.
Right after separation, for following few months, it is probably expected to have a disturbed sleep pattern and this is usually regarded as an adjustment process that people can cope with well.
Latest study reveals divorce can lead to high blood pressure. The study will be published in a forthcoming issue of the journal Health Psychology.
"But sleep problems that persist for an extended period may mean that you are potentially becoming depressed, leaving you susceptible to health problems," said David Sbarra, an associate professor of psychology at University of Arizona, US.
This work involved studying 138 people who underwent divorce about 16 weeks before the prior to this study.
The subjects were asked to update on their quality of sleep and their blood pressure was also measured at regular interval.
"We saw changes in resting blood pressure were associated with sleep problems three months earlier. Earlier sleep problems predicted increases in resting blood pressure over time," Sbarra noted.
Through this research scientists also observed that the longer sleep trouble in people persisted after their separation, the more likely it were to cause an adverse effect on the blood pressure.
According to Kendra Krietsh, Sbarra's former people who continue to face persistent difficulties while sleeping following a divorce should find other alternatives to relax at night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage