Divorce Can Lead to High Blood Pressure: Study Says
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 21, 2014 2:17 PM EST
When a relationship breaks, it affects two people the most who joined hands to make it once. A marriage can turn sour for innumerable reasons which may lead to divorce one day.
Apart from two broken hearts, a divorce also causes serious damage to individual health.
Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi (R) sits near a television monitor showing images of him and his wife Veronica Lario during the taping of television program Porta a Porta (''Door to door'' in Italian) in Rome May 5, 2009.
Right after separation, for following few months, it is probably expected to have a disturbed sleep pattern and this is usually regarded as an adjustment process that people can cope with well.
Latest study reveals divorce can lead to high blood pressure. The study will be published in a forthcoming issue of the journal Health Psychology.
"But sleep problems that persist for an extended period may mean that you are potentially becoming depressed, leaving you susceptible to health problems," said David Sbarra, an associate professor of psychology at University of Arizona, US.
This work involved studying 138 people who underwent divorce about 16 weeks before the prior to this study.
The subjects were asked to update on their quality of sleep and their blood pressure was also measured at regular interval.
"We saw changes in resting blood pressure were associated with sleep problems three months earlier. Earlier sleep problems predicted increases in resting blood pressure over time," Sbarra noted.
Through this research scientists also observed that the longer sleep trouble in people persisted after their separation, the more likely it were to cause an adverse effect on the blood pressure.
According to Kendra Krietsh, Sbarra's former people who continue to face persistent difficulties while sleeping following a divorce should find other alternatives to relax at night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown