Divorce Can Lead to High Blood Pressure: Study Says
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 21, 2014 2:17 PM EST
When a relationship breaks, it affects two people the most who joined hands to make it once. A marriage can turn sour for innumerable reasons which may lead to divorce one day.
Apart from two broken hearts, a divorce also causes serious damage to individual health.
Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi (R) sits near a television monitor showing images of him and his wife Veronica Lario during the taping of television program Porta a Porta (''Door to door'' in Italian) in Rome May 5, 2009.
Right after separation, for following few months, it is probably expected to have a disturbed sleep pattern and this is usually regarded as an adjustment process that people can cope with well.
Latest study reveals divorce can lead to high blood pressure. The study will be published in a forthcoming issue of the journal Health Psychology.
"But sleep problems that persist for an extended period may mean that you are potentially becoming depressed, leaving you susceptible to health problems," said David Sbarra, an associate professor of psychology at University of Arizona, US.
This work involved studying 138 people who underwent divorce about 16 weeks before the prior to this study.
The subjects were asked to update on their quality of sleep and their blood pressure was also measured at regular interval.
"We saw changes in resting blood pressure were associated with sleep problems three months earlier. Earlier sleep problems predicted increases in resting blood pressure over time," Sbarra noted.
Through this research scientists also observed that the longer sleep trouble in people persisted after their separation, the more likely it were to cause an adverse effect on the blood pressure.
According to Kendra Krietsh, Sbarra's former people who continue to face persistent difficulties while sleeping following a divorce should find other alternatives to relax at night.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions