Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Details for Samsung Galaxy S2 Mini, Galaxy S3 Mini and Galaxy S4 Mini
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 1:38 PM EST
Android 4.4.2 KitKat details on Samsung Galaxy S2 Mini, Galaxy S3 Mini and Galaxy S4 Mini are out. Know which devices are eligible, firmware changes and other methods to obtain the Android KitKat version.
Galaxy S2 Mini
Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 or S6500 was released in March 2012 and features 3.27 inches of screen display and single-core Snapdragon MSM7227A processor.
Eligibility: Not anymore due to software support expiration and limited memory of 512 MB of RAM. Samsung will need a higher RAM in order to port Android 4.4.2 and TouchWiz UI.
Any Other Methods: It is possible to update the smartphone using a custom ROM running Android 4.4 KitKat. One of the most popular is CyanogenMod 11 but the firmware does not include any Samsung apps and services. It requires root access and a custom recovery in order to be installed.
Galaxy S3 Mini
Based on the reports of SamMobile, Samsung confirmed that Galaxy S3 Mini is not eligible to Android 4.4 KitKat regardless of software support expiration.
"In order to facilitate an effective upgrade on the Google platform, various hardware performances such as the memory, multitasking capabilities and display must meet certain technical expectations," official statement received by SamMobile.
In terms of software support, Galaxy S3 Mini has a deadline of until May 2014 but the 1 GB RAM and other tech factors defeated the developmental phase of Android 4.4 KitKat similar to what happened on Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
Any Other Methods: Yes. It is even upgradable to Android 4.4.4 KitKat using SlimROM custom firmware. The catches are no Samsung apps and services, root access needed and a custom recovery. Click here on how to do it.
Galaxy S4 Mini
Some users of Galaxy S4 Mini are lucky to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update which started rolling out from Verizon Wireless in the United States along with Galaxy S3 U.S. model. Here are the changes included in the firmware upgrade:
- New lock screen access such as media controls with full album art and camera shortcut.
- SMS optional app chooser for Google Hangouts and Samsung default messaging app.
- Restyled status and navigation bards such as translucent UI and simplified icons.
- New Location Settings with integrated new location menu.
- More emoji icons.
- Wireless Printing support for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for compatible printers.
- Prevention Information pop-up message is suppressed.
For the dual-SIM variant, SamMobile reported that Galaxy S4 Duos GT-I9192 is now receiving the official Android 4.4.2 KitKat via OTA update starting in Russia having the software build I9192XXUCNG2. Galaxy S4 Mini Black Edition is also upgradable to Android 4.4.2 KitKat.
Unfortunately, the original variant of Galaxy S4 Mini which is GT-I9190 remains on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and no information yet regarding another major firmware update.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- PS4 v. Xbox One: More Details For Firmware 2.0 Update, Xbox Screenshot Feature And Paid Xbox Music Emerge
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS