Xbox One August Update Brings 3-D Blu-ray, Notifications and More; 20 Limited Edition Xbox Ones at SDCC
By Gel Galang | July 21, 2014 1:38 PM EST
With July finally nearing its end, Major Nelson has once again teased the contents of the Xbox One August system update. Just before the Xbox One ships to 29 new markets with the dawn of September, the August update is slated to improve entertainment and notification options for the Xbox One.
An attendee uses her smartphone in front of a giant Microsoft Xbox sign at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California June 11, 2014.
These are the new features that Xbox One users can expect to see with the August system update as listed over at the Xbox Wire:
— Activity feed updates: The activity feed is in constant improvement, and the Xbox One will be getting more for the August system update. This includes the ability to post, like and comment on items on the feed, share game clips with friends publicly or privately, get notifications and make use of the SmartGlass to check in on friends' activity feed.
— Expanded friends area on Home: On the Home page, players can already see their friends' current activities as well as trending games and the leaderboard. This is still in refinement mode until it becomes ready for rolling out to all.
— Mobile purchases: Xbox SmartGlass or Xbox.com now allows remote purchasing of games and expansions, so gamers no longer have to wait for downloading to begin when they get home. This is possible as long as they set their Xbox One to automatically update.
— Low battery notification: Taken from the feedback pool again, a notification will now appear on the controller when the battery requires charging.
— Disable notifications during video: In response to feedback from Xbox One users, players can now turn off notifications.
— Enabling 3-D Blu-ray: The Blu-ray player will now allow 3-D Blu-ray for the Xbox One.
— OneGuide in Brazil, Mexico, Austria and Ireland: Four new countries have been added to the live TV listings on OneGuide.
— Last seen time in Friends list: Similar to other social media outlets, the Xbox One will now show the last time since friends have been online.
21 Limited Edition Xbox One Consoles at SDCC 2014
The San Diego Comic Con may be bringing with it some great updates related to the Xbox One.
For fans who want a limited edition Xbox One console that features different themes from the Xbox games, the San Diego Comic Con may be the best place to drop by if they are in the area.
The Nerdist reports those who are thinking of going may actually have a shot at winning one of those limited edition Xbox One consoles. The source has already announced that Microsoft will be giving away 21 custom consoles, featuring designs from "Halo: The Master Chief Collection," Machinima, "Titanfall," "Sunset Overdrive," "Fable Legends" and "The Crew," to name a few.
The link above features a look at the limited edition consoles as well as a quick rundown of what has to be done to be eligible for the Xbox Ones.
First, those interested in getting their hand on one of those consoles need to go to the Xbox Gaming Lounge during the SDCC 2014, which is at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Seaport Ballroom, take a photo of their favourite console and tweet it to serve as their entry into the contest.
Participants will also have to follow @Xbox at Twitter and place the hashtags #XboxOne and #XboxSweeps.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Bugs: Minor, Moderate And Serious Issues Why Users Should Not Upgrade Immediately
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best