3 Reasons Why It is Okay to Breastfeed in Public
July 21, 2014 12:55 PM EST
Numerous studies have shown that breastfeeding offers so many benefits to babies psychologically and physically. However, the modern working mom finds such a task awkward and embarrassing when done in public. Others even choose to breastfeed their babies only for a few weeks then immediately change to baby bottles for the sake of convenience.
Dozens of mothers take part in a breastfeeding flash mob demonstration at a public place in Hong Kong June 14, 2014. The group urged the government to establish a breastfeeding policy to protect the rights of nursing mothers, the organizer said in a press release.
1. People actually understand
Instead of being embarrassed about having to breastfeed your crying baby in public, think that people in public actually understand the need to do so. People will not shun or show disappointment when you allow your baby to suckle in public. Majority of individuals know that there is a special bond formed between the mother and baby when breastfeeding which ordinary bottle drinking will not achieve. Many adults today actually grew up breastfeeding on their mothers in public or are parents themselves so they will be very compassionate about the deed and appreciate you for doing so.
2. Breastfeeding accessories
There are so many accessories for babies and breastfeeding mothers available today, which will help you cover up and decently breastfeed in public. You do not have to feel awkward about having to take your clothes off or showing your breasts to complete strangers. These materials are very comfortable and easy to use so you can breastfeed your baby anytime and anywhere. There are breastfeeding cloths and covers, breastfeeding bras and dresses specifically designed for breastfeeding mothers.
3. Government agencies encourage it
More women's advocates and government health agencies are encouraging mothers to breastfeed their babies in public. This is because there is a growing concern for undernourished children as well as new diseases discovered every year that affects babies. Breastfeeding boosts the immune system of babies thereby reducing the risk and lessening the burden on government health centers and hospitals.
Studies also showed that children who were breastfed for a longer period of time were more emotionally and psychologically stable, thereby resulting to stable and responsible citizens in the future. You will find that malls and other public places have designated breastfeeding areas for your convenience.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier