Casey Kasem’s Body is Missing, Says Daughter; Judge Stops 2nd Wife from Cremating Corpse of Radio Icon
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 21, 2014 12:44 PM EST
The body of radio icon Casey Kasem is no longer at Gaffney Funeral Home & Cremation Services, the lawyer of Kerry Kasem, Casey's daughter, found when he went to Tacoma, Washington, to give the funeral home a copy of a judge's restraining order.
U.S. television and radio personality Casey Kasem appears on the "American Top 40 Live" show in Los Angeles in this April 24, 2005 file photo. Kasem, the U.S. radio personality with the distinctive voice who counted down the top pop music hits on his popular weekly show and also provided the voice of hippie sleuth Shaggy on the "Scooby Doo" cartoons, died on June 15, 2014. He was 82.
The order carried by the lawyer was issued by a judge after Kerry filed a petition to prevent his second wife, Jean, from cremating the corpse. It said the body must be held in cold storage before an autopsy is completed.
Scott Winship, the lawyer, said the funeral home staff could not disclose the location of Casey's body.
The former host of America's Top 40, which started as a radio show, died on June 15 at the age of 82 at a hospital in Gig Harbor, Washington. He was also the voice talent behind some animated TV character such as Shaggy, the sidekick of Scooby Doo.
Prior to his death, he suffered from dementia and there was a long debate over Casey's care between his wife and three children from his first marriage.
Kerry accused Jean of removing her dad's body out of the U.S. and burying him in a secret place so his children could not visit, while a private detective hired by Kerry said the widow was hiding signs of elder abuse on Casey.
She plans to file elder abuse charges against Jean, claiming she tortured her dad. She requested for an autopsy to prove her claim, and the autopsy petition hearing is scheduled for July 25.
"She (Jean) is an extremely manipulative, cruel and egocentric individual," Logan Clarke, the private detective, told The Hollywood Reporter.
"(Jean) never expected us or anyone to get to the body before Mr Kasem died. Based on the evidence my team and I have been uncovering, I believe that she planned on disposing or hiding the body as quickly as possible to keep anyone from hiding evidence of her elder abuse and other crimes," he added.
Clarke said she moved Casey, who was then ailing, in May from a hospital in Santa Monica and he tracked them on June 1 in Washington state. He said the trip caused Casey to have bed sores and worsened his health that contributed to his death.
Casey founded in 1970 the American Top 40 franchise and hosted it until 1988 then resumed hosting it from 1998 to 2004.
He is one of the icons of American radio when the industry was still limited to AM and FM bands.
Since then, the industry has joined the digital age and new media forms are broadcast daily, along with the traditional radio stations on AM and FM.
New technologies have since cropped up such as podcasting, digital radio and platform like the Software as a Service platform of Audioboom Group PLC (LSE: BOOM.L).
Audioboom, a publicly listed UK company, has positioned itself as the global leader in spoken audio content, or the audio equivalent of the YouTube, the most popular video sharing site.
By tapping these social media sites, audience reach expands dramatically since the popular microblogging site and favourite social media site have millions or even billion of followers in different parts of the world.
At present, Audioboom has about 2,000 content channels from the initial 19 channels during the platform's launch in March 2013, said Rob Proctor, company CEO. Audioboom currently has 2.5 million registered users and 12 to 13 million monthly active users across platforms.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Satanic Sex Cult Has 1800 Men Having Sex With A Teen
- Mass Rapes In Iraq & Syria As Islamic State Seeks To Populate Caliphate; Male Muslim Recruits Also Sodomised
- Mafia-Style Family Emerged in Thailand
- Expect More Beheadings As Islamic State Urges Jihadists To Kill By Any Means Possible Australians & Other Citizens Of Nations Who Enter Into Coalition Against IS
- 5 Famous People Who've Spent Time In Jail
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?