Boy Battling Rare Brain Tumor Gets a Special Birthday Gift
By Sarah Thomas | July 21, 2014 12:37 PM EST
Danny Nickerson, 5 years old, was diagnosed with an inoperable, incurable brain tumour in October 2013. The cancer, called Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glimoa (DIPG), is highly resistant to chemotherapy. According to The Cure Starts Now Foundation, the survival rate is very less, only 10 per cent of children diagnosed with DIPG will live beyond 18 months. The doctors told the family that there was no known cure, and that surgery was also not possible because the part of the brain that the tumour has affected controls the 12 main nerves of the body. The boy, however, is going through chemotherapy and radiation, their parents are hoping for a miracle.
A Royal Mail post box is seen in central London July 11, 2014. Britain's biggest privatisation in years was blighted by a fear of failure and poor advice from state-appointed banks, a committee of lawmakers said on Friday following an inquiry into the 2 billion pound ($3.4 billion) sale of Royal Mail. REUTERS/Neil Hall (BRITAIN - Tags: POLITICS SOCIETY BUSINESS EMPLOYMENT)
Danny, the little brave boy will be celebrating his birthday on July 25, and Carley Nickerson, his mother wants to make this his best birthday ever. "Danny's birthday means so much to us this year. Every day is a blessing to us," Carley told The Foxboro Reporter.
She reached out to the neighbours in her community and asked them to send birthday wishes to the little boy through mail. She also has a Facebook page called Danny's Warriors as well as a FuRazr and a Gofundme page to help manage Danny's medical expenses.
Carley Nickerson posted on the Danny Warriors page on July 1, "Danny turns 6 in 24 days. He loves receiving mail and he's always checking the mail box for mail with his name on it. How many birthday cards can we get before his birthday? And give him a month tons of mail! He will love it!" She posted her address and contact information on her personal blog as well. She said that packages and cards were welcome.
The family of four ,including his dad, Daniel Jamieson, and 4-year-old brother Matthew, has set up a post box for the mail. The response to her post was overwhelming, her post box was flooded within two days of the request. Carley posted on the Facebook page that Danny's "eyes lit up" when he saw the amount of mail received. The family is touched by the people's heart-warming gesture.
Thoughtful Reddit users have started a Google spreadsheet called "Danny's Birthday Gifts." This will help them organise his gifts so that they know what's already been purchased. Danny had previously expressed his love for both Legos and Super Mario Bros., users are now working on creating a customised mini-figure for him to surprise the little boy. They have contacted Lego in hope for a donation as well.
A post card is all it would take to bring a smile on Danny's face and brighten the life of his family, wishing just to keep him happy. You can contribute towards making his birthday even more fantastic. Spread some joy with a card.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown