Android 4.4 KitKat Exclusive Features for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia T2 Ultra
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 12:31 PM EST
Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat is now available for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia T2 Ultra. Based on Sony Mobile support pages, the new firmware contains several exclusive features such as App to SD card, camera upgrades and latest app versions.
App to SD Card Transfer
By default, Google removed the "App to SD card" transfer on Android KitKat OS which was included to previous Android versions such as 2.3 Gingerbread, 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and 4.1 to 4.3 Jelly Bean.
But XperiaBlog noticed something different on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update of Sony Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual released by the company. According to a screenshot, both devices which have been updated to the said firmware version regains the "App to SD card" feature that allows certain applications to be moved again to the external storage capacity.
The feature is found at its usual location accessible by going to Settings > Applications. Moreover, Sony Mobile added a new column under the Applications Manager labelled as "On SD card" indicating that users can now transfer apps. In this way, both Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual can make more rooms on the internal storage by moving selected apps to the SD card.
However, this feature seems not to appear on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update for the Xperia Z series. It is unknown why Sony Mobile did not include the feature on Xperia Z series and the possible reason right now would be the limited internal storage among mid-range and low-level smartphones.
Sony Mobile upgraded the camera performance of Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact on Android 4.4.4 KitKat. According to their official software support page, these smartphones received "updated and improved camera experience." But the company did not reveal the exact type of improvements added to the devices.
Most Xperia smartphones which have been updated to Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 are using Smart Social Camera app that allows downloadable camera add-ons such as Info-Eye, Timeshift Burst, Motiongraphy and Augmented Reality.
Optimisations on the camera may include faster loading time, better image capturing, improved low-light scene detection and other related changes.
Sony Mobile added several other changes on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat which are related to performance of apps and services, and necessary bug fixes.
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat latest enhancements and security updates
- Improvements to Google Voice, Contacts app, music streaming and Google+
- New versions of Sony native apps
Bug fixes also include the patch for OpenSSL vulnerability found on Android 4.4.3 KitKat related to Heartbleed bug while other optimisations may include longer battery life, more stable system and better user experience.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Players Can Get The Free Character Boost Now And Still Upgrade To The Collector's Edition On Nov. 13, 2014, Plus The Horde Chopper Mount Will Only Be Available Until Sept. 30, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]