Android 4.4 KitKat Exclusive Features for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia T2 Ultra
By Ryan Inoyori | July 21, 2014 12:31 PM EST
Official Android 4.4.4 KitKat is now available for Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 Compact and Xperia T2 Ultra. Based on Sony Mobile support pages, the new firmware contains several exclusive features such as App to SD card, camera upgrades and latest app versions.
App to SD Card Transfer
By default, Google removed the "App to SD card" transfer on Android KitKat OS which was included to previous Android versions such as 2.3 Gingerbread, 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and 4.1 to 4.3 Jelly Bean.
But XperiaBlog noticed something different on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update of Sony Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual released by the company. According to a screenshot, both devices which have been updated to the said firmware version regains the "App to SD card" feature that allows certain applications to be moved again to the external storage capacity.
The feature is found at its usual location accessible by going to Settings > Applications. Moreover, Sony Mobile added a new column under the Applications Manager labelled as "On SD card" indicating that users can now transfer apps. In this way, both Xperia T2 Ultra and T2 Ultra Dual can make more rooms on the internal storage by moving selected apps to the SD card.
However, this feature seems not to appear on the Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update for the Xperia Z series. It is unknown why Sony Mobile did not include the feature on Xperia Z series and the possible reason right now would be the limited internal storage among mid-range and low-level smartphones.
Sony Mobile upgraded the camera performance of Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact on Android 4.4.4 KitKat. According to their official software support page, these smartphones received "updated and improved camera experience." But the company did not reveal the exact type of improvements added to the devices.
Most Xperia smartphones which have been updated to Android 4.3 and Android 4.4 are using Smart Social Camera app that allows downloadable camera add-ons such as Info-Eye, Timeshift Burst, Motiongraphy and Augmented Reality.
Optimisations on the camera may include faster loading time, better image capturing, improved low-light scene detection and other related changes.
Sony Mobile added several other changes on the Android 4.4.4 KitKat which are related to performance of apps and services, and necessary bug fixes.
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat latest enhancements and security updates
- Improvements to Google Voice, Contacts app, music streaming and Google+
- New versions of Sony native apps
Bug fixes also include the patch for OpenSSL vulnerability found on Android 4.4.3 KitKat related to Heartbleed bug while other optimisations may include longer battery life, more stable system and better user experience.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’