Cooler Bedrooms Increase Metabolism Rates - Help in Fat Burming
By Sarah Thomas | July 21, 2014 12:19 PM EST
Recent research has discovered that a long slumber, as enjoyable as that sounds, when teamed with a cool bedroom could help you lose weight. Bedrooms with a lower thermostat can transform a person's store of brown fat, which is good fat. It increases metabolic rates as well.
Air conditioning units of the hotel that Reuters photographers are staying in are pictured in Salvador July 2, 2014. In a project called "On The Sidelines" Reuters photographers share pictures showing their own quirky and creative view of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Picture taken July 2. REUTERS/Sergio Moraes (BRAZIL - Tags: SPORT SOCCER WORLD CUP SOCIETY MEDIA TRAVEL) ATTENTION EDITOR...
Previously unknown, it is now found that adults have brown fat in small quantities near their neck and upper backs. This is not the usual fat that you have heard of, brown adipose tissue is metabolically active and an experiment on mice revealed that it takes sugar out of the blood stream to burn calories to generate heat. Basically, brown fat increases the metabolic rate to maintain a certain temperature of the body, to keep you warm.
A new study published in June in Diabetes was conducted by researchers affiliated with the National Institutes of Health. They made five healthy young male volunteers to sleep in climate-controlled chambers at the NIH. They were asked to continue their normal lives and were provided normal meals to maintain a certain calorie intake; the only difference was they were made to sleep in these regulated chambers from eight o'clock in the night. The experiment went on for four months, in the first month, the temperature level was set to 75 degrees, which is normal room temperature; the nest month, it was set to 66 degrees, and the following to 75 again and at the last month, it was 81 degrees. Their blood sugar, daily caloric expenditures and insulin levels were tracked.
In the first month, no change was seen, while in the second month, they doubled their volumes of brown fat, their insulin levels improved. They continued burning calories throughout the day as well when their bedroom's were colder. Francesco S Celi, the study's senior author and now a professor at Virginia Commonwealth University, said, "Just by sleeping in a colder room, they gained metabolic advantages that could, over time, lessen their risk for diabetes and other metabolic problems." In the end, by sleeping in the 81 degree temperature for a month, all the brown fat had lessened.
This discovery, apart from being fascinating, is extremely important as Celi says that with this knowledge, it would make it possible to effortlessly tweak your metabolic health by turning down the bedroom thermostat a few degrees.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- One-Year-Old Baby In Melbourne Hospital With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia