5 Famous Australians Who are Openly Gay
July 21, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Throughout the world, members of the LGBT community are starting to make a strong statement by opening up and showing that they should not be judged because of their sexuality. In fact, some of these notable Australians continue to serve as advocates of the gay and bisexual community.
Comedian Ellen Degeneres (L) and actress Portia de Rossi pose backstage after Degeneres won the award for Favorite Talk Show Host at the 35th annual People's Choice awards in Los Angeles January 7, 2009.
Here is a list of famous and successful gay Australians.
1. Ian Thorpe
Thorpe has the most medals in swimming in Australian history with three gold and two silver. He has won a total of eleven World Championship gold medals, which is the third in world history. Thorpe admitted that he was gay to release the emotional burden he had to carry for many years. He shared the fact in a talk show with Michael Parkinson and said that he is very happy and comfortable for being a gay man.
2. Sia Furler
Furler is a talented singer and songwriter who have worked with some of the biggest names in the music industry. She has collaborated with world-renowned celebrities and artists like Beyonce, Kylie Minogue, Shakira, Britney Spears, Celine Dion, David Guetta and many more. She has won the at the ARIA Awards for two straight years. She is bisexual and was named one of the 25 most influential lesbian and gay Australians.
3. Portia de Rossi
The model and actress is best known as the better half of talk show host Ellen DeGeneres. She opened up about being gay in 2005 during an interview with Details and The Advocate. She is also a philanthropist, with programs focusing on preventing animal abuse and treating AIDS.
4. Ruby Rose
She is very open about her sexuality and has used it to influence others to break free and not to fear about doing the same. The singer and model shared a short video entitled "Break Free" to empower gays and bisexuals.
5. Tom Ballard
The comedian and radio host shared publicly in 2009 that he was dating Josh Thomas. He constantly talks about being gay on his radio shows. He is also an advocate for animal rights.
These gay individuals continue to contribute to the community at large, as well as collaborate with groups to inspire others to appreciate their sexuality.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- 'Fast & Furious 7' Plot Update: Ludacris Reveals Paul Walker's Old Photo, Vin Diesel Shares A Photo Of Himself In Car
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand