5 Famous Australians Who are Openly Gay
July 21, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Throughout the world, members of the LGBT community are starting to make a strong statement by opening up and showing that they should not be judged because of their sexuality. In fact, some of these notable Australians continue to serve as advocates of the gay and bisexual community.
Comedian Ellen Degeneres (L) and actress Portia de Rossi pose backstage after Degeneres won the award for Favorite Talk Show Host at the 35th annual People's Choice awards in Los Angeles January 7, 2009.
Here is a list of famous and successful gay Australians.
1. Ian Thorpe
Thorpe has the most medals in swimming in Australian history with three gold and two silver. He has won a total of eleven World Championship gold medals, which is the third in world history. Thorpe admitted that he was gay to release the emotional burden he had to carry for many years. He shared the fact in a talk show with Michael Parkinson and said that he is very happy and comfortable for being a gay man.
2. Sia Furler
Furler is a talented singer and songwriter who have worked with some of the biggest names in the music industry. She has collaborated with world-renowned celebrities and artists like Beyonce, Kylie Minogue, Shakira, Britney Spears, Celine Dion, David Guetta and many more. She has won the at the ARIA Awards for two straight years. She is bisexual and was named one of the 25 most influential lesbian and gay Australians.
3. Portia de Rossi
The model and actress is best known as the better half of talk show host Ellen DeGeneres. She opened up about being gay in 2005 during an interview with Details and The Advocate. She is also a philanthropist, with programs focusing on preventing animal abuse and treating AIDS.
4. Ruby Rose
She is very open about her sexuality and has used it to influence others to break free and not to fear about doing the same. The singer and model shared a short video entitled "Break Free" to empower gays and bisexuals.
5. Tom Ballard
The comedian and radio host shared publicly in 2009 that he was dating Josh Thomas. He constantly talks about being gay on his radio shows. He is also an advocate for animal rights.
These gay individuals continue to contribute to the community at large, as well as collaborate with groups to inspire others to appreciate their sexuality.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?