5 Famous Australians Who are Openly Gay
July 21, 2014 11:01 AM EST
Throughout the world, members of the LGBT community are starting to make a strong statement by opening up and showing that they should not be judged because of their sexuality. In fact, some of these notable Australians continue to serve as advocates of the gay and bisexual community.
Comedian Ellen Degeneres (L) and actress Portia de Rossi pose backstage after Degeneres won the award for Favorite Talk Show Host at the 35th annual People's Choice awards in Los Angeles January 7, 2009.
Here is a list of famous and successful gay Australians.
1. Ian Thorpe
Thorpe has the most medals in swimming in Australian history with three gold and two silver. He has won a total of eleven World Championship gold medals, which is the third in world history. Thorpe admitted that he was gay to release the emotional burden he had to carry for many years. He shared the fact in a talk show with Michael Parkinson and said that he is very happy and comfortable for being a gay man.
2. Sia Furler
Furler is a talented singer and songwriter who have worked with some of the biggest names in the music industry. She has collaborated with world-renowned celebrities and artists like Beyonce, Kylie Minogue, Shakira, Britney Spears, Celine Dion, David Guetta and many more. She has won the at the ARIA Awards for two straight years. She is bisexual and was named one of the 25 most influential lesbian and gay Australians.
3. Portia de Rossi
The model and actress is best known as the better half of talk show host Ellen DeGeneres. She opened up about being gay in 2005 during an interview with Details and The Advocate. She is also a philanthropist, with programs focusing on preventing animal abuse and treating AIDS.
4. Ruby Rose
She is very open about her sexuality and has used it to influence others to break free and not to fear about doing the same. The singer and model shared a short video entitled "Break Free" to empower gays and bisexuals.
5. Tom Ballard
The comedian and radio host shared publicly in 2009 that he was dating Josh Thomas. He constantly talks about being gay on his radio shows. He is also an advocate for animal rights.
These gay individuals continue to contribute to the community at large, as well as collaborate with groups to inspire others to appreciate their sexuality.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 29, 2014: Brooke Must Decide If She Will Continue With Her Plans Of Marrying Bill [WATCH VIDEO]
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate