Parliament Passes Changes to Qantas Sale Act, Flag Carrier Will Remain Majority Australian Owned
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 21, 2014 9:42 AM EST
The two houses of Australia's Parliament have passed on Friday legislation that would ease foreign ownership restrictions on flag carrier Qantas. However, the airline would still remain 51 per cent or majority owned by Australia.
Under the compromise proposed by Labor on the Qantas Sale Act, no single foreign investor or foreign airline would be able to hold over 49 per cent of Qantas. The change would still allow the financially challenged company to improve Qantas's ability to compete in the global aviation industry, especially against budget carriers and major airlines from the Middle East backed up by petrodollars from their governments.
"Qantas will still operate under restrictions that do not apply to other Australian airline but will have greater capacity to attract new investment," explained Jamie Briggs, junior transport minister.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten said the cooperation between the Coalition and Labor on the Qantas Sale Act is a recognition "that despite our differences, despite the different values we hold, this Parliament does have the capacity to build consensus on the challenges facing our country, our future, our national interest."
The changes also require that the airline's headquarters must be in Australia and 66 per cent of the board must be Australians. Likewise, the big part of facilities and services such as maintenance and storage must be in the country.
Briggs said that while Qantas preferred removing the foreign ownership cap, the air carrier supports the amended bill "as a step in the right direction."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Gina Rinehart Loses Bid To Keep Family Feud Lawsuit Details Private; 2 Estranged Children Seek Millions In Mining Profit
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports