Parliament Passes Changes to Qantas Sale Act, Flag Carrier Will Remain Majority Australian Owned
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 21, 2014 9:42 AM EST
The two houses of Australia's Parliament have passed on Friday legislation that would ease foreign ownership restrictions on flag carrier Qantas. However, the airline would still remain 51 per cent or majority owned by Australia.
Under the compromise proposed by Labor on the Qantas Sale Act, no single foreign investor or foreign airline would be able to hold over 49 per cent of Qantas. The change would still allow the financially challenged company to improve Qantas's ability to compete in the global aviation industry, especially against budget carriers and major airlines from the Middle East backed up by petrodollars from their governments.
"Qantas will still operate under restrictions that do not apply to other Australian airline but will have greater capacity to attract new investment," explained Jamie Briggs, junior transport minister.
Opposition leader Bill Shorten said the cooperation between the Coalition and Labor on the Qantas Sale Act is a recognition "that despite our differences, despite the different values we hold, this Parliament does have the capacity to build consensus on the challenges facing our country, our future, our national interest."
The changes also require that the airline's headquarters must be in Australia and 66 per cent of the board must be Australians. Likewise, the big part of facilities and services such as maintenance and storage must be in the country.
Briggs said that while Qantas preferred removing the foreign ownership cap, the air carrier supports the amended bill "as a step in the right direction."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers