Sony Xperia Z2, T2 Ultra, Surface Pro 3 Firmware Updates Roundup: T2 Ultra Gets “Move Apps to SD Card” Option, Microsoft Fixes Wi-Fi Problem
By Pavithra Rathinavel | July 21, 2014 9:27 AM EST
Sony has recently rolled out a firmware update to Xperia Z2. The firmware version number in focus is 17.1.2.A.0.314. In addition Sony Xperia T2 Ultra received a software update that brings in the ability to move apps to SD card. Microsoft, on the other hand, is prompt to fix the reported Wi-Fi problem with a software update.
A receptionist speaks on a phone under a Sony Corp logo at the company's headquarters in Tokyo, in this file picture taken February 6, 2014. Sponsors Adidas, Sony, Visa and Coca-Cola on June 8, 2014 called on soccer's rulers to deal thoroughly with allegations of bribery to secure the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, an issue overshadowing this week's kickoff in Brazil.
Sony Xperia Z2 Update
The minor firmware update 17.1.2.A.0.314 does not bring the latest Android v4.4.4 KitKat OS to the Xperia Z2. Therefore, the OS version Android 4.4.2 stays the same for Sony Xperia Z2. Apparently, there have been no note-worthy changes logged thus far on the minor update. The obvious guess would be that Sony could have fixed several bugs and performance related problems with the firmware update, says Xperia Blog.
Sony Xperia T2 Ultra Update
Sony rolled out Android v4.4.2 KitKat OS-based firmware update on Wednesday for the Xperia T2 Ultra. Along with the new OS version, apps specific to Sony was also introduced. Another significant enhancement brought in by this firmware update is the capability of Xperia handset to transfer apps from the device memory to the microSD card, says GSMarena.
After installing the update, users can navigate to Application Manager under Settings and select an app, the new "Move to SD card" option will be listed. In addition, a new column is introduced to list out the apps that are installed on the microSD card of the Xperia handset.
Clearly, this is a much-needed update owing to the fact that mid-range and budget-friendly smartphones come with limited internal storage capacity. Nevertheless, this feature is not part of the Android KitKat updates on the high-end Xperia Z series of handsets.
As GSMarena pointed out, Sony could be rolling out the Android KitKat updates for Xperia M2 and Xperia E1 with "move to microSD card" feature with the upcoming firmware update.
Surface Pro 3 Update
Earlier reports pointed out that Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 users are facing connectivity issues with their new devices. Upon waking the device from the "power saving mode," the Surface Pro 3 tablet's Wi-Fi and other network drivers cease to show up, says Phone Arena.
And this is the issue fixed by Microsoft in its latest firmware update. The Surface Pro 3 users can now install System Firmware Update dated 7/16/2014 on their tablet. In addition, this update also brings in improvements to the wireless connectivity and system stability.
3. Windows Phone 8.1 and Lumia Cyan Updates Rolled Out to Lumia Owners; Top 10 Features From Lumia Cyan Update - [Read]
4. Upcoming LG G3 Mini User Manual Leaked; Specifications, Features, New Name and Price Listed - [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight