Huge $364K Payday for Dad If Rory McIlroy Wins British Open 2014
By James Patrick Quizon | July 20, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Rory McIlroy is known as one the best golfers in the world and is on the cusp of winning the 2014 British Open. His father, Gerry McIlroy believed his son could be the best ten years ago, putting a wager on Rory to win the The Open Championship before he turns 26 years old.
Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland lines up his putt on the 12th green during the third round of the British Open Championship at the Royal Liverpool Golf Club in Hoylake, northern England July 19, 2014.
According to BBC’s Andrew Cotter, Rory’s dad plus a few friends made a £400 bet (now valued at roughly AUD $728) in 2004 and that bet is now looking good with his son holding a six-shot lead entering the final round of competition.
So just to confirm - 10 yrs ago Gerry McIlroy & three friends put £400 at 500-1 on 15 year-old Rory to win The Open before he turned 26.
— Andrew Cotter (@MrAndrewCotter) July 19, 2014
Through three rounds, McIlroy (-16) is atop the leaderboard after shooting 66, 66 and 68. McIlroy’s nearest rivals for the title are Rickey Fowler (-10); Sergio Garcia and Dustin Johnson (-9); and Victor Dubuisson (-8).
If Rory, who is currently 25 years, 2 months and 16 days old, holds on to the lead and win the title, Gerry will net a £200,000 payout (AUD $364,000)— just about a third of the potential AUD 1.27M championship purse for his son—after placing the wager at 500-to-1 odds (501.00) ten years ago.
Bettors can still try to follow Gerry’s lead and bet on McIlroy entering the final round but the payout odds is expectedly not as pretty ten years ago. Online sportsbooks have now pegged McIlroy as 1.10 favourites (1/10)—which means every $100 bet on McIlroy will only net $10 this time.
Odds to Win British Open 2014
Rory McIlroy (1.10)
Rickie Fowler (15.00)
Sergio Garcia (26.00)
Dustin Johnson (29.00)
Victor Dubuisson (101.00)
Adam Scott (126.00)
Graeme Mcdowell (201.00)
Charl Schwartzel (251.00)
Barring a major collapse, it looks Rory McIlroy will win the 2014 British Open—and make his dad and friends $364K richer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report