Floyd Mayweather Says Sorry to UFC’s Ronda Rousey After Not Having the Slightest Idea Who She Was
By Rachelle Corpuz | July 20, 2014 9:06 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather wasn't trying to disappoint the fans of Ultimate Fighting Championship's (UFC) Ronda Rousey when he said in a recent interview that he didn't know who "he" is. However, Mayweather was quick to say sorry to Rousey after she was named Best Female Athlete in the 2014 ESPY Awards.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. poses on the scale during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. Mayweather faces WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
"I wish her congratulations because I didn't know who she was," Mayweather told Fight Hub TV. "I apologize because I didn't know," he further added. According to Mayweather, he was into watching football and basketball. He explained that he doesn't watch a lot of mixed martial arts (MMA) but said that he was open to the idea of delving on MMA management.
"Of course, Mayweather Promotions, we are the past, the present, and the future of sports entertainment, and yes, we will get involved with other contact sports in the future."
Recently, Mayweather said that he had no idea who Rousey was. He even mistakenly thought Rousey was a man. "I don't even know who he is," said Mayweather when asked what he thought of Rousey's statement during an interview with Power 106 FM in March saying she could take him in a completely unrestrained MMA-style fight.
The unbeaten boxer wasn't arrogantly trying to show people that he was more successful or impressive than Rousey. In the video, the unbeaten boxer wasn't showing a pretentious crap. He just didn't have the slightest idea then that Rousey has had great accomplishments in MMA such as being the first and current UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion. Mayweather just replied and gave his answer to a very entertaining question.
Rousey, on the other hand, has had nice things to say about Mayweather.
"Mayweather is a smart guy," said Rousey in an interview in 2011. "He knows what's up, he knows that he doesn't have to make people like him to make him so popular."
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast