Weird Al Yankovic's New Mandatory Fun Album. Pokes Fun at Lorde, Iggy Azalea, Robin Thicke, Miley Cyrus, One Direction and Pharrell Williams [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | July 20, 2014 1:57 AM EST
Weird Al Yankovic is at it again with his hilarious spoofs of famous pop songs! This time he pokes fun at Lorde, Iggy Azalea, Robin Thicke, Miley Cyrus, One Direction and Pharrell Williams as part of his new "Mandatory Fun" album which was released on Tuesday, July 15, 2014. Read on to learn more about it.
Weird Al Yankovic, whose real name is Alfred Matthew Yankovic is hard to describe because he does numerous things. He is a musician who sings, writes songs and books, produces records and films, and directs music videos. But, he is widely known as a comedian who parodies popular songs as well as its music videos. He gained recognition for spoofing the songs of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" ("Smells Like Nirvana") and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" ("Eat It") and "Bad" ("Fat").
Now, for Yankovic's new "Mandatory Fun" album, he parodies the songs and music videos of Lorde ("Royals"), Iggy Azalea ("Fancy"), Robin Thicke ("Blurred Lines"), Miley Cyrus ("Wrecking Ball"), One Direction ("Best Song Ever") and Pharrell Williams ("Happy"), among other artists.
According to Wikipedia, below are the 12 songs from Weird Al Yankovic's "Mandatory Fun" album. These were reportedly adapted from the "Mandatory Fun" album liner notes.
1. "Handy" - parody of "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX
2. "Lame Claim to Fame" - style parody of Southern Culture on the Skids
3. "Foil" - parody of "Royals" by Lorde
4. "Sports Song" - style parody of college football fight songs
5. "Word Crimes" - parody of "Blurred Lines" by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell Williams
6. "My Own Eyes" - style parody of Foo Fighters
7. "NOW That's What I Call Polka!" - polka medley parody of various songs including "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus, "Best Song Ever" by One Direction, "Gangnam Style" by Psy, "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People, "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen, "Timber" by Pitbull featuring Kesha, "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams, "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz, "Scream & Shout" by will.i.am featuring Britney Spears, "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams and "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye featuring Kimbra.
8. "Mission Statement" - style parody of Crosby Stills & Nash
9. "Inactive" - parody of "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons
10. "First World Problems" - Style parody of Pixies
11. "Tacky" - parody of "Happy" by Pharrell Williams
12. "Jackson Park Express" - style parody of Cat Stevens
Weird Al has been releasing the music videos for some of his tracks in the "Mandatory Fun" album including "Tacky," which he released on Monday, July 14, 2014, "Word Crimes," (released on Tuesday, July 15, 2014), "Foil," (released on Wednesday, July 16, 2014) and "Handy" (released on Thursday, July 17, 2014). This is part of his plan to release eight videos in eight days. He even uses the hashtag #8videos8days in his tweets about the new songs he has just released.
I'll be premiering 8 brand new music videos - one every single day for 8 days - starting TOMORROW MORNING. (11 AM Eastern, 8 AM Pacific)
— Al Yankovic (@alyankovic) July 13, 2014
As of this writing, he has just released the music videos for the songs "First World Problems" and "Sports Song." Click HERE to view Weird Al Yankovic's music videos.
Meanwhile, Billboard reported that Imagine Dragons, one of the artists that Weird Al parodied for the song "Inactive," has said that they consider it a "huge honor" that Weird Al Yankovic chose to parody their song "Radioactive."
That's the latest about Weird Al Yankovic's new "Mandatory Fun" album that pokes fun at Lorde, Iggy Azalea, Robin Thicke, Miley Cyrus, One Direction and Pharrell Williams, among other artists. For more updates about Weird Al Yankovic and other news about entertainment, technology, sports, health, finance and business, keep on reading the International Business Times (IBT).
Watch the video below of Weird Al Yankovic's song "Word Crimes":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS