The Amazing Race Season 25 Features Bethany Hamilton, the Soul Surfer and Shark Attack Survivor [WATCH VIDEOS]
By Janice Somosot | July 19, 2014 10:30 PM EST
CBS' "The Amazing Race" (TAR) Season 25 which will premiere on Sept. 26, 2014 has released the list of the 11 competing teams that will participate in the race which will take them to different parts of the world. One of the contestants is Bethany Hamilton, the Soul Surfer and shark attack survivor. Read on to learn more about her inspiring story and her participation in "The Amazing Race" (TAR) Season 25.
American surfer Bethany Hamilton accepts the Favorite Comeback Award during the inaugural 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, California July 17, 2014.
According to CBS, Bethany Hamilton is part of "The Amazing Race" Season 25 cast. She will team up with her husband, fellow surfer and Christian youth minister Adam Dirks. The married surfers hail from Princeville, Hawaii.
Hamilton is famous in the surfing world for being a multi-awarded surfer at such a young age. Her official Web site's biography about her indicates that she entered the Rell Sun Menehune event in Oahu, Hawaii when she was just eight years old! She won in the short and long board divisions of the said competition and she hasn't stopped surfing ever since.
She hit a bit of a snag in her surfing career when she was attacked by a 14-foot tiger shark in Kauai's North Shore. Unfortunately, Hamilton lost her left arm because of the shark attack. But, her indomitable spirit allowed her to bounce back from the incident. She was even dubbed as the "Soul Surfer" and has served as an inspiration for many, especially in the surf community and young girls.
Bethany Hamilton has been a professional surfer since 2007. Her inspiring life story and shark attack recovery has also been made into a movie starring AnnaSophia Robb ("The Carrie Diaries") in 2011. The film is aptly titled "Soul Surfer," which is also the title of her 2004 autobiography "Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board."
E! Online also reported that Bethany Hamilton received the Favorite Comeback Athlete at the 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports Awards. Hamilton even posted a photo of herself at the said event on her official Instagram account.
After surviving the scary shark attack and moving on to become a successful professional surfer and author, Bethany will now try to beat other contestants of "The Amazing Race" Season 25 including Amy DeJong and Maya Warren (Food Scientists from Madison, Wisconsin), Brooke Adams and Robbie E. Strauss (Dating Pro Wrestlers from Houston, Texas and Woodbridge, New Jersey) and Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan (Engaged Couple and former "Survivor: South Pacific" contestants from Nashville, Tennessee) for the US$1 million grand prize.
Will Soul Surfer and shark attack survivor Bethany Hamilton and her husband Adam Dirks beat all of the other TAR 25 contestants? Tune in to "The Amazing Race" Season 25 on Friday, Sept. 26, 2014 from 8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT to find out! Keep reading the International Business Times (IBT) for more updates about "The Amazing Race" as well as other news about entertainment, sports, health, finance, technology and business.
Watch the videos below featuring Soul Surfer and shark attack survivor Bethany Hamilton:
Bethany Hamilton - My Story "Soul Surfer":
Bethany Hamilton Swimming With Sharks:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions