The Amazing Race Season 25 Features Bethany Hamilton, the Soul Surfer and Shark Attack Survivor [WATCH VIDEOS]
By Janice Somosot | July 19, 2014 10:30 PM EST
CBS' "The Amazing Race" (TAR) Season 25 which will premiere on Sept. 26, 2014 has released the list of the 11 competing teams that will participate in the race which will take them to different parts of the world. One of the contestants is Bethany Hamilton, the Soul Surfer and shark attack survivor. Read on to learn more about her inspiring story and her participation in "The Amazing Race" (TAR) Season 25.
American surfer Bethany Hamilton accepts the Favorite Comeback Award during the inaugural 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports awards at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles, California July 17, 2014.
According to CBS, Bethany Hamilton is part of "The Amazing Race" Season 25 cast. She will team up with her husband, fellow surfer and Christian youth minister Adam Dirks. The married surfers hail from Princeville, Hawaii.
Hamilton is famous in the surfing world for being a multi-awarded surfer at such a young age. Her official Web site's biography about her indicates that she entered the Rell Sun Menehune event in Oahu, Hawaii when she was just eight years old! She won in the short and long board divisions of the said competition and she hasn't stopped surfing ever since.
She hit a bit of a snag in her surfing career when she was attacked by a 14-foot tiger shark in Kauai's North Shore. Unfortunately, Hamilton lost her left arm because of the shark attack. But, her indomitable spirit allowed her to bounce back from the incident. She was even dubbed as the "Soul Surfer" and has served as an inspiration for many, especially in the surf community and young girls.
Bethany Hamilton has been a professional surfer since 2007. Her inspiring life story and shark attack recovery has also been made into a movie starring AnnaSophia Robb ("The Carrie Diaries") in 2011. The film is aptly titled "Soul Surfer," which is also the title of her 2004 autobiography "Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board."
E! Online also reported that Bethany Hamilton received the Favorite Comeback Athlete at the 2014 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports Awards. Hamilton even posted a photo of herself at the said event on her official Instagram account.
After surviving the scary shark attack and moving on to become a successful professional surfer and author, Bethany will now try to beat other contestants of "The Amazing Race" Season 25 including Amy DeJong and Maya Warren (Food Scientists from Madison, Wisconsin), Brooke Adams and Robbie E. Strauss (Dating Pro Wrestlers from Houston, Texas and Woodbridge, New Jersey) and Keith Tollefson and Whitney Duncan (Engaged Couple and former "Survivor: South Pacific" contestants from Nashville, Tennessee) for the US$1 million grand prize.
Will Soul Surfer and shark attack survivor Bethany Hamilton and her husband Adam Dirks beat all of the other TAR 25 contestants? Tune in to "The Amazing Race" Season 25 on Friday, Sept. 26, 2014 from 8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT to find out! Keep reading the International Business Times (IBT) for more updates about "The Amazing Race" as well as other news about entertainment, sports, health, finance, technology and business.
Watch the videos below featuring Soul Surfer and shark attack survivor Bethany Hamilton:
Bethany Hamilton - My Story "Soul Surfer":
Bethany Hamilton Swimming With Sharks:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic's Beckett To See Nathan Fillion's Rick 'On A Sugar Rush' Again [REVIEW]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery