‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: How Scarlett Johansson’s Pregnancy Affects Filming
By Anne Lu | July 19, 2014 2:04 PM EST
Scarlett Johansson’s pregnancy isn’t delaying “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” Writer/director Joss Whedon said they’ll “make it work” with Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow stunt doubles.
U.S. actress Scarlett Johansson and her partner Romain Dauriac pose as they arrive for the 39th Cesar Awards ceremony in Paris February 28, 2014. Picture taken February 28, 2014.
The 29-year-old actress is currently expecting her first child with fiancé Romain Dauriac. But while Scarlett’s tummy is expanding, her character’s remains flat.
That’s not a problem, though. Joss said filming isn’t dangerous to the soon-to-be mother because they have stuntwomen doing the risky stuff.
“She’s very central to the movie and when we heard [about the pregnancy] we scheduled things around that. She’s not going to spend the whole movie carrying groceries. We didn’t trim any chances. We’re like: We’ll make this work,” he told Entertainment Weekly.
Scarlett’s stuntwomen, at least three in number, have dots on their faces to help Marvel digitally project Scarlett’s face on their bodies during post-production.
Chris Evans, who plays Captain America, added that his co-star has been great.
“It really hasn’t slowed us down at all. She’ll be running around, diving and jumping and doing these things and you’re like, ‘She seems like she’s got this.’”
“There’s the element of just God’s grace with Scarlett getting knocked up because that just civilised the whole thing right away,” Robert Downey Jr (Tony Stark/Iron Man) said.
“This is not going to be a massive grind. It’s not possible. We have to accommodate the latest news from headquarters, which is, ‘Oh my God, Scarlett Johansson is going to have a baby!’”
Scarlett seems to be in good hands with the cast, who are mostly all boys. According to Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk), the cast and crew are “very protective” of the Golden Globe Award-winning star.
“She’s pregnant, and she’s showing, and everyone loves and cares for her,” Ruffalo said.
Before the superhero flick hits cinemas in May 2015, Scarlett will be seen in the action film “Lucy.”
In the French-American film, Scarlett plays the title character, who works as a drug mule for a mob in Taiwan. When a drug implanted in her body leaks into her system, she’s able to use more than 10 per cent of her brain, making her superhuman.
“Lucy” also stars Morgan Freeman and Choi Min-sik.
It will be released in August.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan