Boxing News 2014: Drake Spoof of ‘Manny Pacquiao’ Singing Frozen’s Let It Go at ESPY Awards (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 19, 2014 1:18 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
One of the alternative careers that eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao could pursue if he opts to finally hang his boxing gloves is singer. The southpaw congressman has made several hit songs in the past such as his duet with Will Ferrell singing John Lennon's Imagine.
At the ESPY Awards on Wednesday held at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, California, Pacquiao may have lost the ESPY Fighter of the Year Award to Floyd Mayweather Jr, but certainly won the audience's applause with his rendition of Frozen's Let It Go.
But it turned out it wasn't really the Filipino boxer who was singing, but Drake who spoofed him, complete with Manny's Oriental accent and mustache and beard.
Since the video was posted on YouTube, it has become viral and in one day registered more than 225,000 hits.
Viewers would notice that the Drake version copied actually Pacquiao's MTV singing Dan Hill's Sometimes When We Touch, down to the sweat shirt he was wearing. Here's the original video, which got almost 500,000 hits, for comparison.
The Drake spoof even had a clip of Mayweather's face which indicates the boxing public's continued interest in the dream match, initially speculated to take place in May 2015 but confirmed no less by Money May's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr.
But of course, in the meantime, until May comes, the two would have to face their respective opponents in their next fight - Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in a rematch with Mayweather and WBO junior featherweight champion Chris Algieri for Pacquiao.
Singing actually runs in the Pacquiao family, or at least one more family member, specifically his mother Dionesia, who gained notoriety for her unique pray over during her son's fight against Timothy Bradley, mistaken by a lot of viewers as casting a hex on his ring opponent.
Dionesia, or Mommy D, as Filipinos call her, also has a viral music video when she sang Miley Cyrus's hit song Wrecking Ball in a local TV shows.
And her version, mind you, logged 1.75 million hits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4