Boxing News 2014: Drake Spoof of ‘Manny Pacquiao’ Singing Frozen’s Let It Go at ESPY Awards (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 19, 2014 1:18 AM EST
Manny Pacquiao will face Tim Bradley on April 12
One of the alternative careers that eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao could pursue if he opts to finally hang his boxing gloves is singer. The southpaw congressman has made several hit songs in the past such as his duet with Will Ferrell singing John Lennon's Imagine.
At the ESPY Awards on Wednesday held at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, California, Pacquiao may have lost the ESPY Fighter of the Year Award to Floyd Mayweather Jr, but certainly won the audience's applause with his rendition of Frozen's Let It Go.
But it turned out it wasn't really the Filipino boxer who was singing, but Drake who spoofed him, complete with Manny's Oriental accent and mustache and beard.
Since the video was posted on YouTube, it has become viral and in one day registered more than 225,000 hits.
Viewers would notice that the Drake version copied actually Pacquiao's MTV singing Dan Hill's Sometimes When We Touch, down to the sweat shirt he was wearing. Here's the original video, which got almost 500,000 hits, for comparison.
The Drake spoof even had a clip of Mayweather's face which indicates the boxing public's continued interest in the dream match, initially speculated to take place in May 2015 but confirmed no less by Money May's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr.
But of course, in the meantime, until May comes, the two would have to face their respective opponents in their next fight - Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in a rematch with Mayweather and WBO junior featherweight champion Chris Algieri for Pacquiao.
Singing actually runs in the Pacquiao family, or at least one more family member, specifically his mother Dionesia, who gained notoriety for her unique pray over during her son's fight against Timothy Bradley, mistaken by a lot of viewers as casting a hex on his ring opponent.
Dionesia, or Mommy D, as Filipinos call her, also has a viral music video when she sang Miley Cyrus's hit song Wrecking Ball in a local TV shows.
And her version, mind you, logged 1.75 million hits.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims