Orange is the New Black Actor Jason Biggs Jokes about Malaysian Airline Crash, Posts Profane Message after Backlash
By Anshu Shrivastava | July 18, 2014 5:31 PM EST
Jason Biggs, who plays Larry, one of the least favourite characters, in Netflix's "Orange is the New Black," took to Twitter, not to post a condolence message but to mock the Malaysian Airlines. Malaysian commercial airline, which was heading to Kuala Lumpur from Amsterdam, crashed over the Russian-Ukraine border, killing all 295 people onboard, on Thursday.
The site of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane crash is seen at the settlement of Grabovo in the Donetsk region, July 17, 2014. The Malaysian airliner was shot down over eastern Ukraine by pro-Russian militants on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard, a Ukrainian interior ministry official said.
After the news of the crash hit the headlines, Biggs tweeted: "Anyone wanna buy my Malaysian Airlines frequent flier miles?" This tweet has now been deleted. On Twitter, the backlash against Biggs was instant and his followers called him out for being insensitive and that it was too soon to post such a message.
At first instead of apologising, the actor posted a string of tweets -- some profane messages -- which have been since deleted. "Hey all you 'too soon' a**holes - it's a f***ing joke. You don't have to think it funny, or even be on my twitter page at all," he had posted on his Twitter page. "The idea that I wouldn't have any empathy 4 the victims or their families because I make a joke is absolutely ridiculous.U know that, right?"
"Truly- you losers are literally trying to find s--t to get angry about. Channel your issues elsewhere," Biggs had tweeted, as quoted by New York Daily News.
He, however, apologised for his insensitive tweets and deleted them.
He tweeted: "1). Hey all- ok, so- I am deleting my previous tweets. People were offended, and that was not my intent. Sorry to those of you that were." This tweet was followed by three more tweets, which were an attempt to pacify his followers.
Here are the three tweets:
"2). This is obviously a horrible tragedy, and everyone-including myself- is sad and angry about it. Sending positive thoughts to the"
"3). victims and their families. P.S. No one is making me send these tweets- I simply understand that my comments might have come off."
"4). as insensitive and ill-timed. For that, I apologize."
This is not the first time the actor has shown his lack of compassion and maturity. After the disappearance of the ill-fated Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370, Biggs had tweeted, "Nikki is looking for Juan Pablo to say "I Love You." She'd have better luck looking for Malaysian Airlines Flight 370. #TheBachelor."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- What May Have Happened to Malaysia Airlines MH17: 5 Strangest Conspiracy Theories; Crash Victim Had Frightening ‘Premonition’
- Another Missing Jet: Air Algeria Disappears With 116 on Board
- MH17: Pro-Russian Rebel Confesses Firing on Plane by Mistake
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Refloated Italy Cruise Ship Costa Concordia Embarks Final Voyage, Bids Port of Giglio for the Very Last Time (PHOTOS)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales