Frebble - Feel Your Loved Ones Touch From Far Away
By Karen Wong | July 18, 2014 2:32 PM EST
Frederic Petrignani - founder of Holland Haptics, a company based on the Netherlands - together with his team has created a device that lets you hold hands with your loved ones even when not together.
Participants hold hands as they take part in the annual Pride March on Christopher Street in the Manhattan borough of New York June 29, 2014. The annual Gay Pride event draws thousands of civil rights demonstrators and an estimated 1 million viewers.
The device was designed with a haptic technology or tactile feedback that replicate the sensation of holding-hands giving a squeeze with the use of two separate devices. If one Frebble is squeezed, the other Frebble from any part of the world applies pressure to the hand of the other person holding the device. Frebble comes with a muti-colour LED panel that lights to show connection.
It features two pressure sensors in front to register the squeezing sensation, and 2 vibration motors on the side to enhance haptic (Greek word for touch) experience. It has a squeeze bar integrated in a hand enclosure to mimic holding hands, and a Bluetooth Low Energy v4.0 communication.
With the use of Skype or Facetime with Frebble, live audio and video calls together with squeezing sensations will be possible while talking with someone online.
"I came with the idea more than 10 years ago" Petrignani said to Kickstarter. "Wouldn't it be cool if a computer accessory existed that allows people to hold-hands at a distance."
Frebble is a mediated social touch product that is designed around the shape of the hand and provides anyone at a distance with a new common tactile experience.
Frebble has a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery and can be recharged by using a micro-USB cable. It currently works with Google Chrome version 24 or higher or Firefox version 16 and higher, and will be available for smartphones and tablets - Android and iOS apps by the time it is delivered to Kickstarter supporters.
Frebble can be shipped at any part of the world and is available for only 2 for $99.
*video from Kickstarter.com
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports