German Muslim Footballer Özil Denies Donating Money to Gaza, Gives Money to Sick Children in Brazil
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 18, 2014 1:45 PM EST
Contrary to a rumour, Mesut Özil - a practising Muslim - is not going to donate money to Gaza. The Arsenal footballer who has just won the FIFA World Cup 2014 for his country is, as a matter of fact, going to donate the bonus money for Brazilian children. Özil was a major part of the Germany team which defeated Argentina to become the football world champion. Earlier, it was rumoured that Özil would donate his money for children in Gaza.
Germany's Mesut Ozil celebrates scoring their second goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game against Algeria at the Beira Rio stadium in Porto Alegre June 30, 2014.
The Algerian national football team, on the other hand, has showed open support about the Gaza conflict. The pro-Palestinian team is going to donate the entire money it got from the World Cup to the people in Gaza. Algeria earlier flaunted the Palestinian flag on the team bus. According to Islam Slimani - the star striker of the team, the team is going to donate £5.25 million for the people in Gaza. Slimani said that those people would need the money more than the team.
There were reports earlier that Özil was interested in donating his money to Palestinian people. However, his representative Roland Eitel made it clear to The Independent that his money was going to 11 Brazilian children who would require surgery to get well. Özil clarified his stance on his Facebook page as well that his money would be used to help people go through surgeries. He apparently has plans to help 23 people with his money to represent the number of players in the world champion German team.
Eitel, on the other hand, incited further speculation as he said that Özil might consider donating money for the people of Gaza in future. "Maybe in the future, who knows?" he said.
Özil is a practising Muslim. He reads the Quran before every match. However, he is apparently not willing to commit himself yet to a so-called Muslim issue. He seems to be more concerned about helping the destitute without being political or religious about it.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports