German Muslim Footballer Özil Denies Donating Money to Gaza, Gives Money to Sick Children in Brazil
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 18, 2014 1:45 PM EST
Contrary to a rumour, Mesut Özil - a practising Muslim - is not going to donate money to Gaza. The Arsenal footballer who has just won the FIFA World Cup 2014 for his country is, as a matter of fact, going to donate the bonus money for Brazilian children. Özil was a major part of the Germany team which defeated Argentina to become the football world champion. Earlier, it was rumoured that Özil would donate his money for children in Gaza.
Germany's Mesut Ozil celebrates scoring their second goal during extra time in their 2014 World Cup round of 16 game against Algeria at the Beira Rio stadium in Porto Alegre June 30, 2014.
The Algerian national football team, on the other hand, has showed open support about the Gaza conflict. The pro-Palestinian team is going to donate the entire money it got from the World Cup to the people in Gaza. Algeria earlier flaunted the Palestinian flag on the team bus. According to Islam Slimani - the star striker of the team, the team is going to donate £5.25 million for the people in Gaza. Slimani said that those people would need the money more than the team.
There were reports earlier that Özil was interested in donating his money to Palestinian people. However, his representative Roland Eitel made it clear to The Independent that his money was going to 11 Brazilian children who would require surgery to get well. Özil clarified his stance on his Facebook page as well that his money would be used to help people go through surgeries. He apparently has plans to help 23 people with his money to represent the number of players in the world champion German team.
Eitel, on the other hand, incited further speculation as he said that Özil might consider donating money for the people of Gaza in future. "Maybe in the future, who knows?" he said.
Özil is a practising Muslim. He reads the Quran before every match. However, he is apparently not willing to commit himself yet to a so-called Muslim issue. He seems to be more concerned about helping the destitute without being political or religious about it.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones