Malaysian Prime Minister Issues Official Statement Following Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 18, 2014 1:33 PM EST
Following the confirmed missile attack and subsequent crash of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 which killed 298 people on board, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak took to his social media sites to express his sentiments. Razak took to Twitter and Facebook to immediately impart his thoughts on the situation:
A part of the wreckage of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane is seen after it crashed near the settlement of Grabovo in the Donetsk region, July 17, 2014. The total number of dead in the crash of the Malaysia Airlines MH-17 plane in eastern Ukraine is more than 300 and includes 23 U.S. citizens, a Ukrainian interior ministry aide said.
On Twitter just moments after the news was made public, Razak issued the following post:
I am shocked by reports that an MH plane crashed. We are launching an immediate investigation.
— Mohd Najib Tun Razak (@NajibRazak) July 17, 2014
A subsequent post on Razak's Twitter account with the handle @NajibRazak shows a photo of the Prime Minister getting updates about the developing situation at the Malaysian Emergency Operations Centre.
In a statement on Razak's official Facebook page, he gives a detailed account of how he was informed of the attack on the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 and the airline's confirmation of the flight's details. The Boeing 777-200 has now been found in a wreck in Eastern Ukraine in the Donetsk Region, a rebel-held territory.
Razak states that the flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur which passes over conflict-ridden Ukrainian airspace was declared safe by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. He also states that the International Air Transportation Association had not placed any restrictions on the flight path clearing Malaysia Airlines of any negligence in choosing to fly over potentially dangerous airspace.
The Prime Minister also stated that the Malaysian Government will be taking measures to notify family members of those on board the aircraft.
Razak confirms that the Ukrainian Authorities believe that the plane has been shot down and that he is in constant contact with other world leaders from Ukraine and the Netherlands who are involved due to the origin of the flight which originated from Amsterdam bound for Kuala Lumpur. He states that he has also received a call from U.S. President Barack Obama.
"He and I both agreed that the investigation must not be hindered in anyway. An international team must have full access to the crash site. And no one should interfere with the area, or move any debris, including the black box." Razak said.
Malaysia .Airlines had already suffered another tragedy earlier this year when one of its commercial airliners, MH370 disappeared en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur. Despite vast efforts to locate the plane, it has so far not been.
"This is a tragic day, in what has already been a tragic year, for Malaysia. The flight's passengers and crew came from many different countries. But today, regardless of nationality, we are all united in grief." he ended.
See thee full statement in Prime Minister Rajib Nazak's Official Facebook Page
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop