Malaysian Prime Minister Issues Official Statement Following Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 18, 2014 1:33 PM EST
Following the confirmed missile attack and subsequent crash of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 which killed 298 people on board, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak took to his social media sites to express his sentiments. Razak took to Twitter and Facebook to immediately impart his thoughts on the situation:
A part of the wreckage of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane is seen after it crashed near the settlement of Grabovo in the Donetsk region, July 17, 2014. The total number of dead in the crash of the Malaysia Airlines MH-17 plane in eastern Ukraine is more than 300 and includes 23 U.S. citizens, a Ukrainian interior ministry aide said.
On Twitter just moments after the news was made public, Razak issued the following post:
I am shocked by reports that an MH plane crashed. We are launching an immediate investigation.
— Mohd Najib Tun Razak (@NajibRazak) July 17, 2014
A subsequent post on Razak's Twitter account with the handle @NajibRazak shows a photo of the Prime Minister getting updates about the developing situation at the Malaysian Emergency Operations Centre.
In a statement on Razak's official Facebook page, he gives a detailed account of how he was informed of the attack on the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 and the airline's confirmation of the flight's details. The Boeing 777-200 has now been found in a wreck in Eastern Ukraine in the Donetsk Region, a rebel-held territory.
Razak states that the flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur which passes over conflict-ridden Ukrainian airspace was declared safe by the International Civil Aviation Organisation. He also states that the International Air Transportation Association had not placed any restrictions on the flight path clearing Malaysia Airlines of any negligence in choosing to fly over potentially dangerous airspace.
The Prime Minister also stated that the Malaysian Government will be taking measures to notify family members of those on board the aircraft.
Razak confirms that the Ukrainian Authorities believe that the plane has been shot down and that he is in constant contact with other world leaders from Ukraine and the Netherlands who are involved due to the origin of the flight which originated from Amsterdam bound for Kuala Lumpur. He states that he has also received a call from U.S. President Barack Obama.
"He and I both agreed that the investigation must not be hindered in anyway. An international team must have full access to the crash site. And no one should interfere with the area, or move any debris, including the black box." Razak said.
Malaysia .Airlines had already suffered another tragedy earlier this year when one of its commercial airliners, MH370 disappeared en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur. Despite vast efforts to locate the plane, it has so far not been.
"This is a tragic day, in what has already been a tragic year, for Malaysia. The flight's passengers and crew came from many different countries. But today, regardless of nationality, we are all united in grief." he ended.
See thee full statement in Prime Minister Rajib Nazak's Official Facebook Page
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Russia Floats Another Ridiculous Conspiracy Theory that MH 370 & 17 Is One Jet Which U.S. Military Arranged to Be Blown Up Over Ukraine
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 Conspiracy Theory: CIA and Ukraine Together ‘Orchestrated’ Boeing 777’s Shot Down; Russian Media Accuses the U.S.- Report
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air