Ukraine and Russia Point Fingers At Each Other And Deny Responsibility Following Deadly Attack on Malaysia Airlines MH17
By Christine Jane Caparras | July 18, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Just hours after Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 was reported to have lost contact from Ukraine Air Traffic Control and as the wreckage was found spread over several kilometres in the Donetsk area of Ukraine, Ukrainian officials have declared that the incident was carried out by people that they refer to as terrorists. Meanwhile, Russia has given the blame to actions made by the Ukrainian Government against Pro Moscow separatist groups.
An armed pro-Russian separatist stands at a site of a Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 plane crash in the settlement of Grabovo in the Donetsk region, July 17, 2014. The Malaysian airliner MH-17 was shot down over eastern Ukraine by pro-Russian militants on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard, a Ukrainian interior ministry official said. Dozens of bodies were scattered around the smouldering wreckage of a passenger jet that crashed in a field in eastern Ukraine on Thursday, a Reuters reporter said. An emergency services rescue worker said at least 100 bodies had so far been found at the scene, near the village of Grabovo, and that debris from the wreckage was spread across an area up to about 15 km (nine miles) in diameter.
In a statement published throughout various news agencies in the moments after the incident was revealed to the public, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has declared that no Ukrainian military action was involved in shooting down any object from the skies.
The United States have confirmed that radar evidence has proven that a surface-to-air missile was used to shoot down the ill-fated plane which verified initial speculations that a shoulder mounted weapon would not have had the capability of shooting down a commercially-operated plane that was flying at cruising altitude around 33,000 feet. Despite this new evidence, no definitive conclusions have been made as to who was responsible. The United States have offered to help in investigating the incident. The wreckage has been found in a rebel-controlled area in eastern Ukraine. All 295 people on board the aircraft are presumed dead.
Russia for their part, blame the continued conflict that is plaguing parts of Ukraine due to the issues surrounding separatist rebels who are seeking to become part of Russia once again, a move that has been met with resistance by the Ukrainian government. Russian President Vladimir Putin blatantly points out that the Ukrainian Government is to blame for the attack in statements made over televised interviews and reported on CNN.com.
"This tragedy would not have happened, if there had been peace on that land, or in any case, if military operations in southeastern Ukraine had not been renewed, and without a doubt the government of the territory on which it happened bears responsibility for this frightening tragedy." said Putin.
Meanwhile, in the same CNN report, Ukrainian State Security Chief Valentin Nalyvaichenko is pointing his fingers at two Russian military intelligence officers whom he is implicating based on what he says are intercepted phone calls between the two.
The United States had made restrictions on the flight paths of their commercial airlines which normally fly over the conflict area as far back as April this year. Other airline operators are now expected to follow suit in the aftermath of this incident.
Just a few days before this incident, Ukrainian officials have accused Russian military of shooting down a Ukrainian cargo plane which was flying over Ukrainian airspace.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers