Will Apple's iPhone 6 Be The Best Smartphone In The Market
By Karen Wong | July 18, 2014 11:39 AM EST
Apple's iPhone 6 is the most eagerly awaited smartphone of 2014. With an estimated release date of this model this upcoming September or the rumoured late release this November, is it really worth the hype or does it have the features to make it the best smartphone in 2014?
Screenshot from YouTube Video
iPhone 6 in Sam Beckett's concept video
As reported by eWeek, the screen for the iPhone 6 will be built of tough Sapphire glass, known for its incredible durability and hardness compared to normal glass. The Sapphire crystal display (as demonstrated in this video from Marques Brownlee) is amazingly transparent, flexible, hard to break, and scratch-resistant.
The iPhone 6 chassis will be lighter and thinner with the use of Liquidmetal, for which Apple has exclusive rights. The metal is extremely durable and light, and can be used in smaller quantities as compared to the previous aluminum chassis.
Two screen sizes
The iPhone 6 smartphone is likely to be launched with 2 available screen sizes: the 4.7 inch screen that tops the 4 inch display in the iPhone 5S and the 5.5 inch screen which is aiming for the "phablet" market.
According to MacRumors, the 4.7 inch screen will be launched this September while the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 will be launched later due to production issues.
iPhone 6's camera uses Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) to reduce blur caused by camera shake. This should be available in the 8 MP camera of the 5.5 inch display model.
For the 4.7 inch display model, Apple plans to include the "middle-mount open-loop voice coil motor" technology to control the camera movement, which should enable faster and more accurate focusing.
The iPhone 6's camera will include Apple's patented technology for a Light Field camera, which introduces zero shutter delay and the ability to change the focus point after capturing the photo.
Hardware and OS
The iPhone 6 uses a 2.6 GHz quad-core Apple A8 processor and will carry an internal storage of 32 GB or 64 GB. It will be powered by the latest Apple iOS version 8 which is a significant upgrade to the iOS version 7.1. The new upgrade will show major improvements and a much clearer interface to the bundled apps including the new Health app that records your fitness data like heart beat rate and amount of calories burned.
TouchID fingerprint technology
TouchID, the fingerprint sensor technology that was introduced in the iPhone 5S as a security feature, is likely to make a comeback in the iPhone 6, BGR reports. What's exciting is its use could be expanded beyond just unlocking purposes.
The selling price of iPhone 6 will surely be pricy. Multiple rumors have indicated that Apple might possibly have a higher rate on the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 by $10 than the 4.7-inch iPhone which has a standard $199 on contract, according to MacRumors. The larger iPhone 6 is said to come with additional features that the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 may not have but will surely compensate for the price.
These features confirmed by reliable sources definitely make the iPhone 6 a worthy wait for consumers. If other competing smartphones cannot show a more amazing feature than what Apple's iPhone 6 could be having, then this might just be the best smartphone this 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Vodafone Australia Software Update Weekly Wrap For Nov. 20: Blackberry, HTC, Huawei, Samsung And Sony
- HTC One M9: Speculations on Release Date, Specs And Features
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef