Will Apple's iPhone 6 Be The Best Smartphone In The Market
By Karen Wong | July 18, 2014 11:39 AM EST
Apple's iPhone 6 is the most eagerly awaited smartphone of 2014. With an estimated release date of this model this upcoming September or the rumoured late release this November, is it really worth the hype or does it have the features to make it the best smartphone in 2014?
Screenshot from YouTube Video
iPhone 6 in Sam Beckett's concept video
As reported by eWeek, the screen for the iPhone 6 will be built of tough Sapphire glass, known for its incredible durability and hardness compared to normal glass. The Sapphire crystal display (as demonstrated in this video from Marques Brownlee) is amazingly transparent, flexible, hard to break, and scratch-resistant.
The iPhone 6 chassis will be lighter and thinner with the use of Liquidmetal, for which Apple has exclusive rights. The metal is extremely durable and light, and can be used in smaller quantities as compared to the previous aluminum chassis.
Two screen sizes
The iPhone 6 smartphone is likely to be launched with 2 available screen sizes: the 4.7 inch screen that tops the 4 inch display in the iPhone 5S and the 5.5 inch screen which is aiming for the "phablet" market.
According to MacRumors, the 4.7 inch screen will be launched this September while the 5.5 inch iPhone 6 will be launched later due to production issues.
iPhone 6's camera uses Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) to reduce blur caused by camera shake. This should be available in the 8 MP camera of the 5.5 inch display model.
For the 4.7 inch display model, Apple plans to include the "middle-mount open-loop voice coil motor" technology to control the camera movement, which should enable faster and more accurate focusing.
The iPhone 6's camera will include Apple's patented technology for a Light Field camera, which introduces zero shutter delay and the ability to change the focus point after capturing the photo.
Hardware and OS
The iPhone 6 uses a 2.6 GHz quad-core Apple A8 processor and will carry an internal storage of 32 GB or 64 GB. It will be powered by the latest Apple iOS version 8 which is a significant upgrade to the iOS version 7.1. The new upgrade will show major improvements and a much clearer interface to the bundled apps including the new Health app that records your fitness data like heart beat rate and amount of calories burned.
TouchID fingerprint technology
TouchID, the fingerprint sensor technology that was introduced in the iPhone 5S as a security feature, is likely to make a comeback in the iPhone 6, BGR reports. What's exciting is its use could be expanded beyond just unlocking purposes.
The selling price of iPhone 6 will surely be pricy. Multiple rumors have indicated that Apple might possibly have a higher rate on the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 by $10 than the 4.7-inch iPhone which has a standard $199 on contract, according to MacRumors. The larger iPhone 6 is said to come with additional features that the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 may not have but will surely compensate for the price.
These features confirmed by reliable sources definitely make the iPhone 6 a worthy wait for consumers. If other competing smartphones cannot show a more amazing feature than what Apple's iPhone 6 could be having, then this might just be the best smartphone this 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate