Aussies Enjoy Free Grocery Due to Woolworths Glitch That Priced Items Below 10 as Free
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 18, 2014 11:24 AM EST
A computer glitch hit Australian grocery giant Woolworths on Thursday afternoon, causing scanners to charge as free items with price tags below $10.
A employee walks by a meat cooler in the grocery section of a Sam's Club during a media tour in Bentonville, Arkansas June 5, 2014. The tour was part of Walmart Stores Inc. annual shareholder meeting. REUTERS/Rick Wilking
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the problem occurred at around 3 pm, but the Woolworths staff at its Sydney Town Hall stores said they stopped transactions only about a minute due to a point of sales computer problem which was eventually fixed.
The grocery is back to regular operations after the glitch affected outlets in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania. A Woolworths spokesperson clarified that the supermarket giant did not order the closure of its stores when the glitch was discovered nor did it order outlets to close.
Woolworths apologised to shoppers for the inconvenience it caused them when it halted trading for about 20 minutes.
However, one reader of SMH commented that the glitch was the result of the Coalition government's repeal of the carbon tax on the same day. Another reader, a former Woolworths employee, said the grocery really had free grocery promos all the time and said it was not a glitch but really a freebie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Floyd Mayweather Gets Investment Advice from Warren Buffett What to Do With Millions
- Former U.S. VP Al Gore Backs Ovo Energy by Investing £8 Million Before IPO
- Study Shows Gap Between What Advisors Say and What Resonates with Investors
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0