Aussies Enjoy Free Grocery Due to Woolworths Glitch That Priced Items Below 10 as Free
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 18, 2014 11:24 AM EST
A computer glitch hit Australian grocery giant Woolworths on Thursday afternoon, causing scanners to charge as free items with price tags below $10.
A employee walks by a meat cooler in the grocery section of a Sam's Club during a media tour in Bentonville, Arkansas June 5, 2014. The tour was part of Walmart Stores Inc. annual shareholder meeting. REUTERS/Rick Wilking
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the problem occurred at around 3 pm, but the Woolworths staff at its Sydney Town Hall stores said they stopped transactions only about a minute due to a point of sales computer problem which was eventually fixed.
The grocery is back to regular operations after the glitch affected outlets in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania. A Woolworths spokesperson clarified that the supermarket giant did not order the closure of its stores when the glitch was discovered nor did it order outlets to close.
Woolworths apologised to shoppers for the inconvenience it caused them when it halted trading for about 20 minutes.
However, one reader of SMH commented that the glitch was the result of the Coalition government's repeal of the carbon tax on the same day. Another reader, a former Woolworths employee, said the grocery really had free grocery promos all the time and said it was not a glitch but really a freebie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?