Aussies Enjoy Free Grocery Due to Woolworths Glitch That Priced Items Below 10 as Free
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 18, 2014 11:24 AM EST
A computer glitch hit Australian grocery giant Woolworths on Thursday afternoon, causing scanners to charge as free items with price tags below $10.
A employee walks by a meat cooler in the grocery section of a Sam's Club during a media tour in Bentonville, Arkansas June 5, 2014. The tour was part of Walmart Stores Inc. annual shareholder meeting. REUTERS/Rick Wilking
The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the problem occurred at around 3 pm, but the Woolworths staff at its Sydney Town Hall stores said they stopped transactions only about a minute due to a point of sales computer problem which was eventually fixed.
The grocery is back to regular operations after the glitch affected outlets in New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania. A Woolworths spokesperson clarified that the supermarket giant did not order the closure of its stores when the glitch was discovered nor did it order outlets to close.
Woolworths apologised to shoppers for the inconvenience it caused them when it halted trading for about 20 minutes.
However, one reader of SMH commented that the glitch was the result of the Coalition government's repeal of the carbon tax on the same day. Another reader, a former Woolworths employee, said the grocery really had free grocery promos all the time and said it was not a glitch but really a freebie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family