Boxing New 2014: Mayweather Wins Over Pacquiao, But Only for ESPY Best Fighter Award
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 18, 2014 11:20 AM EST
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. reacts during press conference at Times Square.
The two pound-for-pound kings were contenders for the 2014 Best Fighter ESPY award, and Money May won in the ceremonies held on Wednesday. Besides Pacquiao, the other nominee for the award was Andre Ward.
The award, given to outstanding athletes from different sports, was the second for Mayweather who first bagged it in 2012. He got the award for unifying the light welterweight titles versus Canelo Alvarez and his May 3 victory of Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana which further improved his record to 46-0.
In his acceptance speech, Mayweather said, "Thank you so much to ESPN and everyone, every fan that voted. Without you guys, like I said before, I wouldn't be where I'm at."
The Ring ranks Mayweather No. 1, while the Filipino congressman slipped to 4th in the list after Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez knocked him out, ending his winning streak.
Now, all eyes are on the so-called dream match between the two boxers, which Floyd Mayweather Sr has confirmed. Fans of Mayweather would likely see his ESPY victory as a precursor of the result of the bout, while followers of Pacquiao would surely disagree and believe the southpaw could be the first boxer to remove the 0 loss from Money May's fight record.
YouTube/ESPYS Award 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies