Boxing New 2014: Mayweather Wins Over Pacquiao, But Only for ESPY Best Fighter Award
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 18, 2014 11:20 AM EST
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. reacts during press conference at Times Square.
The two pound-for-pound kings were contenders for the 2014 Best Fighter ESPY award, and Money May won in the ceremonies held on Wednesday. Besides Pacquiao, the other nominee for the award was Andre Ward.
The award, given to outstanding athletes from different sports, was the second for Mayweather who first bagged it in 2012. He got the award for unifying the light welterweight titles versus Canelo Alvarez and his May 3 victory of Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana which further improved his record to 46-0.
In his acceptance speech, Mayweather said, "Thank you so much to ESPN and everyone, every fan that voted. Without you guys, like I said before, I wouldn't be where I'm at."
The Ring ranks Mayweather No. 1, while the Filipino congressman slipped to 4th in the list after Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez knocked him out, ending his winning streak.
Now, all eyes are on the so-called dream match between the two boxers, which Floyd Mayweather Sr has confirmed. Fans of Mayweather would likely see his ESPY victory as a precursor of the result of the bout, while followers of Pacquiao would surely disagree and believe the southpaw could be the first boxer to remove the 0 loss from Money May's fight record.
YouTube/ESPYS Award 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports
- Iphone 6 Release Date Fast -Approaching, Reuse and Recycle Program Now in Australia