Ann McGregor Talks Grieving Process Over Son, Cory Monteith's Passing and Lea Michele’s Sadness
By Annie Dee | July 18, 2014 10:49 AM EST
Cory Monteith's died more than a year ago, but mother Ann McGregor admits that it has been one of the hardest years in her life, if not the hardest as she was locked in her grief.
Credit: Reuters/Lucy Nicholson
Lea Michelle, from the TV series ''Glee,'' poses backstage at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, in this January 13, 2013 file photo.
While it is understandable that a mother will grieve so, Ann McGregor, 63, shared to ABC News in her first interview ever since Cory passed away tragically that "until three years ago, I couldn't look at a picture of Cory."
McGregror claimed that the past year in the way of son's demise because of heroin and alcohol overdose in July 13, 2013, has been "horrendous."
The only way to cope was to also talk with people who share her immense grief. Even though Lea Michele, Cory's longtime love and Glee co-star has strongly braved the grief and the loss, McGregor claims they both shared a great pain over the loss of Cory. Lea may be seemingly moving on with her life now and starting to date, but the sadness had been and still is, there. McGregor said she and Lea constantly talk through emails and text messages.
"I know her pain," McGregor said to ABC News. "She's hurting too ... you see the sadness."
McGregor shared that she also believes that Cory was already "easing himself out of" showbiz when this tragedy happened. He was already planning to lease a home in Vancouver, Canada when this unfortunate event took place. She also shared that her "Baby Bear," the nickname she has for Cory is not to blame. She said no one is, not even Cory's dabbling in show business.
"I don't think blame is a good thing to do," she said. "That was his choice."
According to McGregor, Cory is already engaged in substance abuse issues at just 15.
"I think that was the turning point. He had a lot of emotional things he was trying to figure out - lot of it was he really wanted a relationship with his [estranged] father.
"I think when a child gets invalidated they keep reaching even harder - they want to find out why."
However, despite of what she went through with Cory and what she knows of substance abuse, she said she cannot give a lot of advice to parents who may be experiencing the same with their children.
"I don't think we have power to change the choices they're making. I think with the kind of connection Cory and I had, if we couldn't prevent that situation, I don't have the answer. What could I say to them? Live every moment. Grab the second."
She tweeted: "We hold you in our hearts today, and every day we remember your smile. We will love you and miss you always."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best