Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Dutch Passenger Cor Pan’s Facebook Joke Turns Out to be a Prophetic Message
By Anne Lu | July 18, 2014 10:26 AM EST
A Dutch passenger of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 posted a Facebook message that now appears to have foreshadowed the tragedy.
People light candles at the Dutch embassy to commemorate the victims of Malaysia Airlines MH17, which crashed in eastern Ukraine, in Kiev July 17, 2014. The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was brought down in eastern Ukraine on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard and sharply raising the stakes in a conflict between Kiev and pro-Moscow rebels. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko
Before he boarded the plane, though, he posted a photo of the aircraft on his Facebook account, adding a message that seems to have eerily foreshadowed what have happened.
“This is what it looks like in case it goes down,” Pan wrote in Dutch on his social media account, presumably before getting into the plane.
Pan might have been just joking when he wrote the message. Although it started out as a sarcastic post, perhaps as a reference to the other Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 that remains missing to this day, it turned out to be a prophetic message on the tragedy that would happen a few hours after.
The post was shared over 12,500 times since the news of MH17’s tragedy has been reported.
Pan’s friends also wrote tributes on his Facebook, expressing their condolences to his family.
MH17 lost its 280 passengers and 15 crew members after it was believed to be shot down along the border between Ukraine and Russia. It took off in Amsterdam, and was en route to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia when it was shot down at 33,000 feet.
“Malaysia Airlines confirms it received notification from Ukrainian ATC that it had lost contact with flight MH17 at 1415 (GMT) at 30km from Tamak waypoint, approximately 50km from the Russia-Ukraine border,” the Malaysia Airlines said in a statement on Facebook.
“Flight MH17 operated on a Boeing 777 departed Amsterdam at 12.15pm (Amsterdam local time) and was estimated to arrive at Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 6.10 am (Malaysia local time the next day.”
There are 27 Australian passengers confirmed on the flight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight