Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Dutch Passenger Cor Pan’s Facebook Joke Turns Out to be a Prophetic Message
By Anne Lu | July 18, 2014 10:26 AM EST
A Dutch passenger of the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 posted a Facebook message that now appears to have foreshadowed the tragedy.
People light candles at the Dutch embassy to commemorate the victims of Malaysia Airlines MH17, which crashed in eastern Ukraine, in Kiev July 17, 2014. The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was brought down in eastern Ukraine on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard and sharply raising the stakes in a conflict between Kiev and pro-Moscow rebels. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko
Before he boarded the plane, though, he posted a photo of the aircraft on his Facebook account, adding a message that seems to have eerily foreshadowed what have happened.
“This is what it looks like in case it goes down,” Pan wrote in Dutch on his social media account, presumably before getting into the plane.
Pan might have been just joking when he wrote the message. Although it started out as a sarcastic post, perhaps as a reference to the other Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 that remains missing to this day, it turned out to be a prophetic message on the tragedy that would happen a few hours after.
The post was shared over 12,500 times since the news of MH17’s tragedy has been reported.
Pan’s friends also wrote tributes on his Facebook, expressing their condolences to his family.
MH17 lost its 280 passengers and 15 crew members after it was believed to be shot down along the border between Ukraine and Russia. It took off in Amsterdam, and was en route to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia when it was shot down at 33,000 feet.
“Malaysia Airlines confirms it received notification from Ukrainian ATC that it had lost contact with flight MH17 at 1415 (GMT) at 30km from Tamak waypoint, approximately 50km from the Russia-Ukraine border,” the Malaysia Airlines said in a statement on Facebook.
“Flight MH17 operated on a Boeing 777 departed Amsterdam at 12.15pm (Amsterdam local time) and was estimated to arrive at Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 6.10 am (Malaysia local time the next day.”
There are 27 Australian passengers confirmed on the flight.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Asia Has World’s Best & Worst Airports 2014 [Complete Lists]
- World’s Worst Tourist Destinations
- MH370 Oct 23 Update: Public Reports Debris Washed Up In Australian Coastline
- Gwyneth Paltrow To Attend Tasmania’s Tourism Event
- Tasmania Ranks No. 4 In Lonely Planet’s 'Top 10 Regions In The World To Visit In 2015' List
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop