Strong 6.0 MS Earthquake Felt in Canada at Yukon-Alaska Border
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 18, 2014 8:56 AM EST
Canada experienced an earthquake on Thursday, July 17.
The quake was felt in Yukon during the early hours in the morning around 5 o'clock. Certain parts of the area were affected by the tremor which was felt along the Alaska-Yukon border.
REUTERS/Jorge Dan Lopez
An earthquake-damaged house is pictured in the San Marcos region, in the northwest of Guatemala, July 7, 2014. A strong earthquake shook the Guatemalan border with Mexico on Monday, killing at least four people, damaging dozens of buildings and triggering landslides. The 6.9 magnitude quake struck near the frontier, and much of the damage was reported in the Guatemalan border region of San Marcos, where it downed power lines, opened cracks in buildings and triggered landslides which blocked roads.
According to Natural Resources Canada, the earthquake details are as follows. The magnitude is 6.0 ML. It occurred at 04:49:33 PDT (local time), which means it was around 10 pm in New South Wales, Australia on the same day. The approximate location of the area where it was felt was South-Western Yukon and South-Eastern Alaska. It was felt in Whitehorse and its surrounding areas. The origin of the tremor was at 60.32 North (Latitude) and 140.35 West (Longitude).
The largest earthquake in the region happened long back in 1899. It was September 10 when 8.6 MS earthquake rattled the area. Then again on September 4 there was 8.2 MS earthquake in the same year. There was an 8.4 MS earthquake on March 28, 1964. In a more recent past on August 7, 1992; there was a 6.6 MS tremor.
According to some residents in the locality, the earthquake woke them up from sleep. They felt that their house was shaking and the lamps were swinging. However, not every one of them noticed any damage in the property. The residents said that the locality is earthquake prone as it generally happens once or twice in one calendar year. The U.S. Geological Survey, meanwhile, said that there were several smaller tremors felt after the first one.
Yokon has a population of 33,897 as calculated in 2011. The triangle-shaped federal territory is the smallest one among three such territories in Canada. It has Alaska to its west, British Columbia to its south and the Northwest Territories to its east.
So far, there is no casualty reported due to the earthquake. An earthquake that has a magnitude between 6.0-6.9 is considered as strong. There are generally 100 to 150 such tremors every year.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet