Boxing News 2014: Meet Chris Algieri, Manny Pacquiao’s Next (Cherry-Picked) Opponent
By James Patrick Quizon | July 18, 2014 4:03 AM EST
Virtually everyone in the world knows who Manny Pacquiao is but little is known of his opponent, Chris Algieri in the blockbuster ho-hum fight to be held on November 22, 2014 at the Venetian Casino and Resort in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his unanimous decision over WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. after their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014. Bradley was previously undefeated.
Algieri is Undefeated in Two Sports—Boxing and Kickboxing
The 30-year-old American is not only undefeated in twenty professional boxing bouts but he is also undefeated in twenty professional kickboxing fights. He has a better knockout rate as a kickboxer (10 of 20 fights ended via KO or 50% KO rate) than a boxer (8 of 20 fights ended via KO or 40% KO rate).
Algieri is a three-time world champion—one world title in boxing (World Boxing Organization Junior Welterweight Champion); and two world titles in kickboxing (International Sport Karate Association Welterweight Champion and World Kickboxing Association Super Welterweight Champion).
Against the Pacman (56-5-2, 38 KO), he will be gunning for his second boxing world title—the World Boxing Organization welterweight belt.
Here’s one of Algieri’s kickboxing KO victories—against Scott Mukaddam:
(Video Courtesy: YouTube/Mark Lawrence)
Algieri is Well-Educated and a Charity Worker
The American fighter from Huntington, Long Island, USA started his career path in medicinal studies at Stony Brook University where he has a Bachelor of Science in health care sciences; then, after retiring from kickboxing in 2008, he turned pro in boxing and at the same time pursued a Masters Degree in Nutrition at the New York Institute of Technology and finished in 2010.
Algieri does charitable work. From his official website, “Understanding the risks of combat sports and wanting to do his part to help, Team Algieri joined forces with the Irene & Eric Simon (IES) Brain Research Foundation in order to raise awareness and funds to help advance neuroscience research and education.”
Algieri’s Path to Fame in Boxing Pacquiao was Defeating Ruslan Provodnikov
Algieri, who has Italian (father) and Argentine (mother) blood, pulled off the upset against Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia to steal the WBO Light Welterweight title on June 6, 2014 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, USA.
Algieri actually went down twice in the opening round but came back to win the match via a split decision, 114-112 (Don Trella), 114-112 (Tom Schreck) and 109-117 (Max DeLuca).
Watch the Algieri vs. Provodnikov highlights here:
(Video Courtesy: YouTube/HBOSports)
These fans’ reaction on Twitter summarizes what every boxing fan feels about the fight:
I'm so excited for Pacquiao vs. Algieri!!! - Said no one.
— Cesca Litton (@CheckLit) July 16, 2014
It's rude, but I'd rather see Floyd vs. one of his girlfriends rather than Pacquiao vs. Algieri #DoucheBagDan — Danny González (@dfgonzalez305) July 17, 2014
Algieri is a relatively new guy in boxing who is undefeated but have done it against unknown and unheralded opponents; while it looks like he’s generally a very educated, good guy his greatest win in boxing was unconvincing and even, controversial.
In short, Algieri looks like another cherry-picked opponent for Pacquiao by Top Rank’s Bob Arum.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone