Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jay Z and Other Stars Pay Tribute to Derek Jeter in Nike's RE2PECT Ad, Fans Salute on Twitter [Watch Video]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 18, 2014 4:02 AM EST
While Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jay Z, other well-known stars and everybody else in the recent RE2PECT ad all tipped their caps in tribute to the retiring Yankee legend Derek Jeter, fans also saluted on the social media Twitter.
Apart from the three above-mentioned stars, the 1.40 minute long commercial by Nike which was posted on YouTube showed the "Core Four" members of the Yankees. It also showed famous athletes like the New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony and Phil Jackson. New York celebrities such as LA Lakers President Jeanie Buss, Director Spike Lee, and actor Billy Crystal were also shown in the video.
The clip also showed the fans in attendance, the food vendor at the stadium, policemen, firemen, and even drivers. There was also an old man reading newspaper, a child watching television, and even mascots. All of them tipped their caps in a moving respect to the awesome career that Derek Jeter has made being one of Nike's longest sponsored athletes.
As per Nike Web site, Jeter has more signature shoes than any other Jordan brand athletes aside from Michael Jordan himself. The 40-year old baseball captain has 12 signature cleats under his name for over 15 years of collaboration.
Bleacher Report also stated that the 40-year old baseball legend completed the sport's most turbulent period in the absence of an arrest or scandal involving performance-enhancing drugs (PED). Jeter is set to retire within the year after finishing his 20th season in the Major League Baseball (MLB).
In less than 24 hours after the RE2PECT video was uploaded to YouTube, it already generated over 2.1 million views and over 12,000 likes. It debuted on Fox television on Tuesday night during the coverage of the All-Star Game.
Meanwhile, baseball fans also saluted to Derek Jeter on Twitter. One user @k8egreenthal posted: "Just got chills watching the @nike ad honoring #DerekJeter on his final all star game."
Another user @mattkc1 tweeted that Yankees fans and or not, "The Captain" is well deserving of a tip of his cap. Still another user @carlquintanilla said: "If you don't get chills during the last 20 seconds of @Nike's #DerekJeter ad, you aren't human."
Watch Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jay Z and Other Stars pay tribute to Derek Jeter in Nike's RE2PECT Ad from YouTube.
Read the tweets below:
— Katie Greenthal (@k8egreenthal) July 15, 2014
Yankees fan or not, "The Captain" is well deserving of a tip of my cap! #RE2PECT http://t.co/yP3Q5Xae76 — Matt (@mattkc1) July 15, 2014
— Carl Quintanilla (@carlquintanilla) July 15, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery