Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jay Z and Other Stars Pay Tribute to Derek Jeter in Nike's RE2PECT Ad, Fans Salute on Twitter [Watch Video]
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | July 18, 2014 4:02 AM EST
While Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jay Z, other well-known stars and everybody else in the recent RE2PECT ad all tipped their caps in tribute to the retiring Yankee legend Derek Jeter, fans also saluted on the social media Twitter.
Apart from the three above-mentioned stars, the 1.40 minute long commercial by Nike which was posted on YouTube showed the "Core Four" members of the Yankees. It also showed famous athletes like the New York Knicks' Carmelo Anthony and Phil Jackson. New York celebrities such as LA Lakers President Jeanie Buss, Director Spike Lee, and actor Billy Crystal were also shown in the video.
The clip also showed the fans in attendance, the food vendor at the stadium, policemen, firemen, and even drivers. There was also an old man reading newspaper, a child watching television, and even mascots. All of them tipped their caps in a moving respect to the awesome career that Derek Jeter has made being one of Nike's longest sponsored athletes.
As per Nike Web site, Jeter has more signature shoes than any other Jordan brand athletes aside from Michael Jordan himself. The 40-year old baseball captain has 12 signature cleats under his name for over 15 years of collaboration.
Bleacher Report also stated that the 40-year old baseball legend completed the sport's most turbulent period in the absence of an arrest or scandal involving performance-enhancing drugs (PED). Jeter is set to retire within the year after finishing his 20th season in the Major League Baseball (MLB).
In less than 24 hours after the RE2PECT video was uploaded to YouTube, it already generated over 2.1 million views and over 12,000 likes. It debuted on Fox television on Tuesday night during the coverage of the All-Star Game.
Meanwhile, baseball fans also saluted to Derek Jeter on Twitter. One user @k8egreenthal posted: "Just got chills watching the @nike ad honoring #DerekJeter on his final all star game."
Another user @mattkc1 tweeted that Yankees fans and or not, "The Captain" is well deserving of a tip of his cap. Still another user @carlquintanilla said: "If you don't get chills during the last 20 seconds of @Nike's #DerekJeter ad, you aren't human."
Watch Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Jay Z and Other Stars pay tribute to Derek Jeter in Nike's RE2PECT Ad from YouTube.
Read the tweets below:
— Katie Greenthal (@k8egreenthal) July 15, 2014
Yankees fan or not, "The Captain" is well deserving of a tip of my cap! #RE2PECT http://t.co/yP3Q5Xae76 — Matt (@mattkc1) July 15, 2014
— Carl Quintanilla (@carlquintanilla) July 15, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report