Star Wars: Rise of the Emperor Palpatine Based on Hitler
By Sachin Trivedi | July 17, 2014 5:39 PM EST
"Star Wars" fans who have closely followed the movies will find an uncanny resemblance between emperor Palpatine and Adolf Hitler. A new post on the official Web site of the franchise gives fans hints on what historical events inspired George Lucas.
A person wearing a costume of the Darth Vader character from the Star Wars movies is pictured in Hollywood, California July 2, 2014.
Both Palpatine and Hitler held the position of chancellor before getting voted almost unlimited powers. Both leaders used an emergency or crisis to get more powers. The separatist movement and the Clone Wars gave Palpatine the opportunity to consolidate his powers in the "Star Wars" movies.
Hitler initially tried a coup and failed. His later approach was to win elections. The economic and political instability of the times gave him the opportunity to rise. He later disbanded the state legislative bodies in Germany. The emperor permanently disbanded the Imperial Senate in "Star Wars" Episode 4.
Both leaders were able to maintain control through fear. Grand Moff Tarkin was seen saying that fear would keep the local systems in line in "Star Wars" Episode 4. The empire had just finished building the dreaded Death Star super weapon, which was capable of destroying planets with its laser beam.
The specialist soldiers called Stormtroopers were used both by Emperor Palpatine in the "Star Wars" world, as well as by Adolf Hitler in the real world. The soldiers were used to deadly effect by both leaders.
Both leaders met with a brutal ending. Palpatine was killed by his apprentice onboard his ship in the middle of a raging space battle, while Hitler reportedly died in his bunker towards the end of the Second World War. The circumstances and place of Hitler's death, however, are disputed by some.
Fans of the franchise are waiting to watch "Star Wars" 7 directed by J.J. Abrams. The movie is slated to be released by December 2015. The filming for the movie is ongoing. The filming locations for the film include Abu Dhabi in United Arab Emirates, New Mexico in the U.S., Scotland and Iceland.
"Star Wars" 7 will bring back some of the cast from the original series. The cast of the movie include Harrison Ford as Han Solo, Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Carrie Fisher as Leia Solo and Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca. The movie will also bring back the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO.
More Articles to Read
Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Nymeria Sand [Read]
'Saddest Bear on Earth' Slowly Going Insane in Zoo [Read]
Avengers: Age of Ultron - Stan Lee Confirms a Cameo Role [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- ‘Star Wars 7: The Force Awakens’ Leaked Dialogue Of Han Solo From Upcoming Trailer [Spoilers]
- Beyonce’s ‘Ring Off’ Isn’t About Her Alleged Crumbling Marriage to Jay Z, But About Her Parents [VIDEOS]
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced