Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 17, 2014
By Juliana Roadley, CommSec Market Analyst | July 17, 2014 3:06 PM EST
Midday Report (12.25pm AEST)
A nice start for the Australian market, at the open of trade the ASX 200 hit a 6 year high of 5559.4 points the highest level since June the 10th 2008. Today the early volumes on the market were also solid and by lunch time the All Ordinaries Index was at 5,528.9 points.
An employee of the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE) places his hand next to the TSE logo at the bourse in Tokyo
Overnight in the US markets moved higher helped by solid quarterly results. The material sector lifted from the start of trade today the sectors up by 1.39%
After falling so far this week gold and oil prices lifted overnight, so far in the Asian session the US$ gold price was up US$2 to US$1,302 an ounce and the oil price was above US$101.50 a barrel.
Fortescue (FMG) shares moved higher again today after its upgrade to expected FY14 production report yesterday now up 2.95% and OZ Minerals Limited (OZL) also higher up 4.6% while BHP Billiton Limited (BHP) added 1.37%
Mount Gibson (MGX) reported June quarter numbers today saying it had shipped 9.7Mwt in FY14, above the MGX and market guidance of 9.0-9.5Mwt, largely due to higher shipments of low grade ore. MGX share price lifted by 3.75%
Woodside Petroleum (WPL) announced its 2Q14 results today. Revenue lifted to US$1,679M, up 24.8% (Y/Y). Production was also stronger at 23.5MMboe up 17.5% due to higher Pluto LNG volumes. WPL also lifted its FY14 production guidance to 89-94 from 86-93mmboe and its share price lifted by 0.9%.
Boart Longyear Limited (BLY) shares fell over 34% yesterday after the company came out of a trading halt and responded to an ASX enquiry on its new strategic plans. Today the share price moved higher in morning trade up 3.4%
Syrah Resources (SYR) today announced it is looking to sell (or spin off) or IPO its Tanzanian exploration business and told the market it will hold an Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) to allow shareholders to vote on its plans. SYR up 3.89%.
Retailer David Jones (DJS) was placed in a trading halt this morning, pending court hearing on Takeover by South African Woolworths Holdings. DJS shares last traded at $3.98.
Australian Agricultural Company (ACC) held its Annual General Meeting (AGM) today. ACC mentioned that it had been a tough year and that drought conditions contributed to a $37.1Million fall in valuation of AACo's property portfolio over the year. ACC share price was slightly higher up 0.2%
The Australian Dollar relatively unchanged over the session now at 0.9364
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display