Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Senior Confirms May 2015 Bout of Son vs Pacquiao, Eyes 2 Million PPV Buys
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 17, 2014 12:51 PM EST
The two pound-for-pound kings finally announced their opponents in their Sept 13 and Nov 22 bouts, with Floyd Mayweather opting for a rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana and Manny Pacquiao picking WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri.
Jul 14, 2014; New York, NY, USA; Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana (right) promote their upcoming welterweight rematch during a press conference at Times Square.
However, the attention and speculations continue to focus on the rumoured dream match in May.
Another confirmation that the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight will possibly take place in Dubai came from no less than Money May's father who said it is the big surprise that Floyd Jr hinted the other week. The news, relayed by a Boxing Insider source, and coming from Mayweather Sr, who had previously dissed a fight between his son and Pacquiao, adds some credibility to the report.
The source, according to Boxing Insider, is a manager and trainer. The source said that the elder Mayweather remarked about his son fighting Pacquiao while they were talking about other matters.
In changing his stand and being open to a fight between Floyd Jr and Pacquiao, the father believes it would seal his son's legacy in the world of boxing and possible make the largest payment, eyeing at least 2 million pay-per-view buys for the dream match.
It is also an indication that the Mayweathers are not happy with the PPV buys during the May 3 bout, which explains why they have not released the figures although experts said it didn't reach 1 million. Floyd Jr, however, boasted on Tuesday that he would get $70 million from that fight, of which $40 million was the guaranteed purse.
According to Leonard Ellerbe, Money May's assistant, the boxer deposited a $32 million cheque after the May 3 bout and the gate receipt was $15 million. But beyond those 2 figures, he refused to give more numbers, saying, "What Floyd's bottom line is nobody's business."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored