Men Should Do Kegel Excercises Too - Study Says
By Sarah Thomas | July 17, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Kegel exercises which was long known to help women with childbirth and recovery have been recommended for men as well by experts. The workout which was once thought to be solely for a woman is now seen to benefit men as well; the pelvic floor exercises can help with continence, recovery from prostate surgery, sexual dysfunction and other issues in men.
A couple embraces during sunset on the Pont des Arts with its fence covered with padlocks clipped by lovers over the River Seine in Paris, in this August 10, 2013 file photo. The Pont des Arts footbridge over the Seine in central Paris was closed for a few hours on June 8, 2014, after a metal grill laden with padlocks left by amorous couples collapsed onto the walkway. Padlocks began appearing on bridges in Paris and other European cities more than five years ago left by people seeking to symbolize their enduring love - often inscribed with couples' names. Lovers typically throw the keys into the river. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann/Files (FRANCE - Tags: SOCIETY CITYSCAPE)
Urologist Brad Erickson, MD, an assistant professor of urology at the University of Iowa in Iowa CityMen said that these exercises essentially target the muscles that help control the flow of urine and the movement of the penis. The movement strengthens the muscles and increases blood flow in the area, and an erection depends on a flow of blood that is strong enough to create an erection and controlled enough to maintain it.
"People do cardio exercises for their heart, and they do strength training and work on their six-pack, but the pelvic floor is neglected," said Dr. Andrew L. Siegel to New York Times. Dr Andrew is a urologist and author of a paper in the July issue of Urology, he is also a co-founder of Private Gym, a company marketing a new pelvic floor exercise system for men.
He explains the ways to do the exercise tighten the area you sit on when you're sitting on a horse. Tighten and loosen, contract for a few seconds and release, repeating it for at least 10 to 15 times. It is pretty simple and helps with much more than one can imagine.
While the benefits are said to be many, and Dr Grace Dorey, a professor emeritus of physiotherapy and urology at the University of the West of England also states that is "as good as Viagra, without the costs and the side effects", there is still no evidence to prove if it enhances orgasms and erections. But clinical traits have shown that they can prevent premature ejaculation and help overcome erectile dysfunction.
The American Urological Association recommends Kegels, along with other behavioural modifications for men and women with over-active bladders. They caution men with severe back pain to avoid Kegels and those who have undergone surgery to consult their doctors before trying the workout. Doctors also found that many men initially are bemused by the exercises some even faced trouble locating the appropriate muscles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- One-Year-Old Baby In Melbourne Hospital With Ebola-Like Symptoms
- 'Desperate Housewives' Actress Polly Bergen Died; Suffered Complications From Emphysema
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border