Men Should Do Kegel Excercises Too - Study Says
By Sarah Thomas | July 17, 2014 12:48 PM EST
Kegel exercises which was long known to help women with childbirth and recovery have been recommended for men as well by experts. The workout which was once thought to be solely for a woman is now seen to benefit men as well; the pelvic floor exercises can help with continence, recovery from prostate surgery, sexual dysfunction and other issues in men.
A couple embraces during sunset on the Pont des Arts with its fence covered with padlocks clipped by lovers over the River Seine in Paris, in this August 10, 2013 file photo. The Pont des Arts footbridge over the Seine in central Paris was closed for a few hours on June 8, 2014, after a metal grill laden with padlocks left by amorous couples collapsed onto the walkway. Padlocks began appearing on bridges in Paris and other European cities more than five years ago left by people seeking to symbolize their enduring love - often inscribed with couples' names. Lovers typically throw the keys into the river. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann/Files (FRANCE - Tags: SOCIETY CITYSCAPE)
Urologist Brad Erickson, MD, an assistant professor of urology at the University of Iowa in Iowa CityMen said that these exercises essentially target the muscles that help control the flow of urine and the movement of the penis. The movement strengthens the muscles and increases blood flow in the area, and an erection depends on a flow of blood that is strong enough to create an erection and controlled enough to maintain it.
"People do cardio exercises for their heart, and they do strength training and work on their six-pack, but the pelvic floor is neglected," said Dr. Andrew L. Siegel to New York Times. Dr Andrew is a urologist and author of a paper in the July issue of Urology, he is also a co-founder of Private Gym, a company marketing a new pelvic floor exercise system for men.
He explains the ways to do the exercise tighten the area you sit on when you're sitting on a horse. Tighten and loosen, contract for a few seconds and release, repeating it for at least 10 to 15 times. It is pretty simple and helps with much more than one can imagine.
While the benefits are said to be many, and Dr Grace Dorey, a professor emeritus of physiotherapy and urology at the University of the West of England also states that is "as good as Viagra, without the costs and the side effects", there is still no evidence to prove if it enhances orgasms and erections. But clinical traits have shown that they can prevent premature ejaculation and help overcome erectile dysfunction.
The American Urological Association recommends Kegels, along with other behavioural modifications for men and women with over-active bladders. They caution men with severe back pain to avoid Kegels and those who have undergone surgery to consult their doctors before trying the workout. Doctors also found that many men initially are bemused by the exercises some even faced trouble locating the appropriate muscles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Clinton Credits Sugar-Free Diet For Weight Loss: A Vegan Diet If Not Followed Properly Can Cause Weight Gain
- Overdose Of Prescription Drug Oxycodone Even Deadlier Than Heroin
- The Secret Behind HIV Infection Found: Reasons Why It Could Not Be Eradicated
- Dr Oz: Your Diet Can Affect Your Mood, Five Diets That Help Combat Depression
- 5 Celebrity Couples Who Stood The Test Of Hollywood
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans