Call to Helpline Goes Unanswered; Woman Ends Life
By Smitha Nambiar | July 17, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Tracey Ann Ridley, 30, from Hastings, reportedly ended her life after her several calls to the helpline went unanswered. In order to make the 108 helplines (spread across the nation) more accessible and organised, the Ministry of Health, on the recommendation of Coroner Garry Evans, will be implementing a single, integrated telephone helpline.
Cowboy David Thompson talks on the telephone while eating dinner at the end of the day during a week-long operation to gather cattle, near Ignacio, Colorado
Ridley, who died from a prescription drugs and alcohol overdose, in the wee hours of the morning on Dec 28, 2012, had reportedly phoned Crisis Line in the morning, but nobody had answered. In the report released by Coroner Garry Evans, he mentioned that he did not have enough evidence to prove whether Ridley's death was accidental or intentional. Evans also recommended the government to review the '108 helplines' in the country to avoid any such unfortunate tragedies in future. According to Evans, the calls to the helplines going unanswered were a concern since it pointed toward a "cry for help."
Evans further recommended that the government should consider reducing the number of helplines, and set up a 24/7 triage call centre to sort callers by priority and kind of assistance required.
Ridley was facing a personal crisis, which prompted her to lock herself in the bathroom and consume drugs and alcohol. She also phoned her family members, who in turn, informed the police. When her brother and the police arrived at her residence, they found her unconscious. All the effort by the paramedics to revive her did not prove fruitful as she died at her home.
Ridley made a call at 2.05 am to the National Depression Helpline and to the Alcohol Drug Helpline three minutes later, informed police to the inquiry. According to the report submitted by the coroner, both the calls were of "short duration" and went unanswered.
When one of the policeman called the Alcohol Drug Helpline (managed by the Ministry of Health), outside the work hours of 8 am to midnight, he was connected to voicemail. The report submitted by Evans also included details of the letter sent to the police by Paula Polkinghorne, who works as manager in Lifeline, a 24/7 helpline provider. Polkinghorne had stated in the letter that call volumes keeps fluctuating, and during busy hours, calls are sometimes not answered immediately.
Meanwhile, a review plan is being prepared by the officials at the Ministry of Social Development, stating the need for the government to consolidate the country's helplines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying