Man Claims To Have Found Space Junk, Listed It For Sale For $100,000
By Afza Fathima | July 17, 2014 12:38 PM EST
A man, only known as Peter, claimed that he found a piece of junk which comes from a Russian rocket and entered the atmosphere over Australia, listed it for sale on Gumtree for a whooping $100,000. The ad has been removed
A rocket is fired during a drill of drone planes assaulting targets and a firing drill of self-propelled flak rocket destroying "enemy" cruise missiles coming in attack in low altitude, conducted by the air force and air defence artillery units of the Korean People's Army in an undisclosed location in this picture released by the North's official KCNA news agency in Pyongyang March 20, 2013. KCNA said this picture was taken on March 20, 2013.
Peter claimed that he found the object, which he said is made of titanium, 40 centimetres in diameter and weighed 13.4 kilograms, north of Walgett on the Castlereagh Highway under the Pagan Creek bridge.
The advertisement in Gumtree read, "One of the valves is completely burnt off and has left some spectacular 'flow lines' of melting titanium as it re-entered earth's atmosphere. The second valve is still partially intact."
Professor of Planetary Science Phil Bland from Curtin University in Western Australia, part of the team of researchers tracking the flight path of the Soyuz rocket, told ABC the item is probably from a space rocket.
Phil Bland, Professor of Planetary Science from Curtin University, suggested that it looks like space debris and he said "These types of fuel pods can be one of the most resistant things people find." He is part of a team which is currently tracking the path of the Soyuz rocket launched from Kazakhstan on July 8. The rocket, currently in the third stage, was said to have plummeted to Earth at 29,000 kilometres per hour on July 10.
Professor Bland said that it could be from a space rocket but he had doubts that it came from the Russian rocket sighted over Australia and that where Pater claims to have found the item is hundreds of kilometres east of the path of the re-entry. What surprised him is the track the rocket took as it was far away from the line they got from the United States. He exclaimed that they may get scattered plus or minus a few kilometres but there is no possibility that it can move such a distance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’