Man Claims To Have Found Space Junk, Listed It For Sale For $100,000
By Afza Fathima | July 17, 2014 12:38 PM EST
A man, only known as Peter, claimed that he found a piece of junk which comes from a Russian rocket and entered the atmosphere over Australia, listed it for sale on Gumtree for a whooping $100,000. The ad has been removed
A rocket is fired during a drill of drone planes assaulting targets and a firing drill of self-propelled flak rocket destroying "enemy" cruise missiles coming in attack in low altitude, conducted by the air force and air defence artillery units of the Korean People's Army in an undisclosed location in this picture released by the North's official KCNA news agency in Pyongyang March 20, 2013. KCNA said this picture was taken on March 20, 2013.
Peter claimed that he found the object, which he said is made of titanium, 40 centimetres in diameter and weighed 13.4 kilograms, north of Walgett on the Castlereagh Highway under the Pagan Creek bridge.
The advertisement in Gumtree read, "One of the valves is completely burnt off and has left some spectacular 'flow lines' of melting titanium as it re-entered earth's atmosphere. The second valve is still partially intact."
Professor of Planetary Science Phil Bland from Curtin University in Western Australia, part of the team of researchers tracking the flight path of the Soyuz rocket, told ABC the item is probably from a space rocket.
Phil Bland, Professor of Planetary Science from Curtin University, suggested that it looks like space debris and he said "These types of fuel pods can be one of the most resistant things people find." He is part of a team which is currently tracking the path of the Soyuz rocket launched from Kazakhstan on July 8. The rocket, currently in the third stage, was said to have plummeted to Earth at 29,000 kilometres per hour on July 10.
Professor Bland said that it could be from a space rocket but he had doubts that it came from the Russian rocket sighted over Australia and that where Pater claims to have found the item is hundreds of kilometres east of the path of the re-entry. What surprised him is the track the rocket took as it was far away from the line they got from the United States. He exclaimed that they may get scattered plus or minus a few kilometres but there is no possibility that it can move such a distance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones