Letrozole Facilitates Pregnancy in Women Suffering from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
By Indrani Bhattacharyya | July 17, 2014 12:28 PM EST
Presently 5 to 10 per cent of reproductive-age women suffer from infertility because of PCOS.
Women suffering from PCOS usually have excessive levels of a hormone called androgen, infrequent periods, with development of small cysts on the ovaries and have trouble conceiving.
Clomiphene citrate known to stimulate ovulation has been used as the standard treatment for PCOS. But researchers say it has certain drawbacks and the success rate is no more than 22 per cent. It also causes some annoying side effects like hot flashes and frequent mood swings.
Letrozole is another drug which blocks estrogen production. It also increases the rate of pregnancy in women with PCOS , these results have appeared in the current issue of the New England Journal of Medicine by Dr. Richard Legro, professor of obstetrics and gynecology and lead author of the study.
In order to compare the effectiveness of these two drugs, scientists studied 750 infertile women with PCOS between 18 and 40 years old who wanted to get pregnant.
Women were randomly given clomiphene or letrozole and took the medications for up to five cycles, with increasing dosage at each cycle.
The group of women who took letrozole had a higher rate of live births ( 27.5 per cent) than the women who received clomiphene (19.1 per cent). Also ovulation rates were significantly higher with letrozole each month.
Fewer twin pregnancies occurred in the women who took letrozole (3.9 per cent) and 6.9 per cent on clomiphene. Clomiphene taking women experienced significantly higher incidence of hot flashes while letrozole caused significantly higher incidence of fatigue and dizziness. Birth defects were rare and rates were similar between the two medications, comparable to those from studies of women who conceive without treatment.
Further investigation is required with a larger number of infants to clarify the safety of letrozole.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS