A Device That Helps You Get Intimate With Your Far Away Lover
By Sarah Thomas | July 17, 2014 12:02 PM EST
A new technology makes it possible for long distance lovers to hold hands. Though not in reality, the device allows you to touch your partner's hand virtually. Scientists have created a wireless technology called Frebble that lets you hold your partners hand with the use of haptic technology which mimics the sensation of someone holding your hand.
A lesbian couple hold hands during a mass wedding ceremony in Mexico City June 28, 2014. About 119 couples tied the knot in the event organized by the Miguel Hidalgo borough, local media reported. REUTERS/Bernardo Montoya (MEXICO - Tags: SOCIETY)
The Frebble includes two devices that when connected to each other through the Internet will become sensitive to touch. It is around five inches long and uses a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery. It is made from plastic with rubberised padded areas so it can be held easily. When one squeezes the device, the other will feel the sensation of the touch. The device has two pressure sensor located in the front of the device and two vibratory motors at the side, which make the sensations more realistic. There is also a replicated squeeze bar that replicates the hands holding.
This innovative idea was conceived by entrepreneur Frederic Petrignani of Amsterdam in The Netherlands, who is currently raising funds on Kickstarter to put the device on production.
The device aims at giving a long-distance relationship the joy and pleasure of being intimate with your loved one. When used while on a Skype call, the experience would be double and more fulfilling. 'For a granddaughter calling grandma with special news, for a husband far away from a wife, for distant grown daughters who crave the comfort of their mother's touch, for a best friend who wants to let her friend know it will all be ok, Frebble connects - as simply, subtly and as powerfully as though the person was right there with you,' the company said.
While there are many ways to see and hear your loved ones, the company explained that there was a lack of a tactile element over the Internet. Frebble is designed to fit your hand and cut through the distance, allowing you to share the joys of the simplest gestures like squeezing of the hand.
Google Chrome version24 or higher and Firefox version 16 and higher will support the gadget. Android and iOS apps for smartphones and tablets will also be available by September. On Kickstarter, the device costs $89 (£52), plus shipping as an 'early bird special'.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge