More Than 600 Suspected Paedophiles Arrested in UK
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 17, 2014 11:58 AM EST
British police arrested 660 suspected paedophiles, which included teachers and doctors, through an investigation which lasted six months.
The National Crime Agency, which is often called the FBI of the UK, led the investigation. The arrested suspects also include former police officers and care workers. It also said that over 400 children were taken into custody during the investigation. This is the first time such an investigation took place in the UK. There were 45 police forces from Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England that were involved in the operation.
Children play in artist Jeppe Hein's interactive fountain Appearing Room on a warm summer day on the Southbank in London July 13, 2014
The investigation was kept completely classified until the whereabouts were revealed on Wednesday, July 16. The NCA, however, did not reveal how it was able to identify the suspects as it planned to track down more suspects using the same methods. It was, on the other hand, disclosed that the suspects were identified through their online behaviour such as accessing child porn on the Web.
According to the official statement of the NCA, 39 suspects turned out to be registered sex offenders. The statistical report revealed that police were not aware of more than 600 suspects. The suspects have been charged for various offences like the possession of child porn and sexual molestation. There are certain suspects who have not been charged yet.
One of the doctors, who are among the arrested suspects, apparently possessed more one million photos on his computers that depicted child abuses. Another suspect, who said that he had travelled for sex to South Eastern Asian countries, confessed that he had been watching photos depicting child abuse for the last three decades. He started watching such photos when he was 16.
NCA's Deputy Director General Phil Gormley said that the agency would aim to protect possible victims of child molestation. "Our aim was to protect children who were victims of, or might be at risk of, sexual exploitation. A child is victimized not only when they are abused and an image is taken. They are re-victimized every time that image is viewed by someone," he said.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports