iPhone 6 Release Date Update: Apple Will Use 2mm Ultra-Thin 1560mAh Battery, Projects 70M Unit Sales in 2014
By Erik Pineda | July 17, 2014 11:18 AM EST
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
The battery thickness for the next iPhone is 2mm, shrinking from the 3mm power juicer that Apple has deployed with the 5S in 2013, according to Taiwanese publication DigiTimes, citing its unnamed industry sources.
The same report suggested too that the iPhone maker will simply carry over the 5S battery rating at 1560mAh though the iPhone 6 is seen to last longer that its immediate predecessor. Apple watchers are expecting major software tweaks to come with iOS 8 that will optimise the upcoming handset's battery use.
Also, the 20nm 64-bit A8 chip that will power the 2014 iPhones and iPads is reported to be more energy efficient than the A7 processing chip, which somehow ensure that the iPhone 6 will have extended operating hours despite its essentially identical power kit with that of the iPhone 5S.
There was no indication too in the same report if the battery specifications will be for the 4.7-inch or 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models though it is the larger make that is likely to get the super-slim treatment. Per earlier reports, the phablet-size model will come in a thinner profile than the regular iPhone, which is to distinguish the former from the latter.
DigiTimes reported too that by the end of 2014, some 70 million new iPhone units will be owned by consumers the world over, which is a projection that is aligned with the numerous forecasts offered by analysts. Katy Huberty of Morgan Stanley, for one, has stated in her latest note that Apple will clear around 68 million iPhones.
Huberty, however, did not provide a breakdown. Ming-chi Kuo of KGI Securities claims that along with the iPhone 6 thrust this 2014, Apple will continue to sell the iPhone 5S and 5C, likely serving as the budget iPhones in the next few quarters.
By the end of fiscal year 2015, the tech giant will likely clear some 197 million iPhones, thus along with the iWatch, the iPhone 6 is tipped as the next major revenue generator by Apple.
The iPhone on release date, said to be on September 19 2014, is pictured as a monster hit in the making as analysts said consumers will rush to snap up the device for its larger screen, longer battery life, improved camera and all the killer features that are stuffed with Apple's upcoming mobile operating system - the iOS 8.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon