Boxing News 2014: Chris Algieri Agrees to Fight Manny Pacquiao on Nov 22 in Macau
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 17, 2014 10:27 AM EST
New WBO junior welterweight title holder Chris Algieri accepted the offer of eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao to fight him in the latter's defense of his WBO welterweight belt on Nov 22 at the Cotai Arena in Macau.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines hits undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. with a right during their title fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada April 12, 2014
"We have a deal. On my end, it wasn't a hard deal at all. I came up pretty much with what they were looking for and then [Algieiri's promoters] had to sit down with Algieri and cut it up fairly amongst themselves," Top Rank Promotions boss Bob Arum told ESPN.
Algieri initially dilly-dallied in his decision to accept or reject the offer, but Pacquiao's camp gave him an ultimatum to decide or lose the opportunity to earn at least $1.5 million, which is 150 times the $100,000 guaranteed purse he got when he won against Ruslan Provodnikov on June 14 at Barclays Center in New York.
Algieri initially found the amount quite small, probably in comparison to at least $20 million guaranteed purse for Pacquiao, accepting a reality in boxing that big-name boxers get the lion's share of the fight revenue.
The 30-year-old Algieri has a 20-0 fight record with eight knockouts, is a former kickboxing champion and has a master's degree.
Amid speculations that the Macau fight with a relatively unknown boxer would not generate high pay-per-view buys, Arum said that the fee The Venetian pays to have Pacquiao pick their place as venue for the fight is enough to fill up the anticipated lower PPV buys.
His last fight in Macau versus Brandon Rios generated 450,000 PPV buys, while his bout against Timothy Bradley got 750,000 PPV sales.
In a statement, Algieri said, "I wanted this fight. This will change my life once again and I welcome the future. All of Team Algieri is excited for this fight."
Pacquiao is highly expected to win the fight, while Algieri will surely get higher guaranteed purses in future bouts whatever is the result of his match with the Filipino congressman.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Los Angeles Clippers 2014-2015 NBA Preview: Chris Paul, Blake And Lob City Aiming High
- ‘The X Factor Australia' 2014 Winner Prediction - Dean Ray Will Win Title, According To Betting Odds; Marlisa Punzalan, Brothers 3 Are The Underdogs
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge