72% of Australians Support Same-Sex Marriage
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 17, 2014 9:28 AM EST
More Australians are being open to accept different forms of marriage aside from the traditional male-female relationship. Results of the survey made by Crosby Textor, the national pollster for Prime Minister Tony Abbott's Liberal Party, said 72 per cent of 1,000 Aussies polled support marriage equality or recognising same-sex marriages.
Gay couple Andrew Wale (R) and Neil Allard. April 11 is The National Day of Silence celebrated to create awareness about the effect that bullying on basis of sexuality and gender expressions, brings to its victims (Photo: Reuters)
Of that percentage, more than half strongly support the move, which Mr Abbott disagrees with based on his personal beliefs. As head of the Coalition, the PM has consistently refused a conscience vote on the issue despite his having a lesbian sister who is in a relationship with another woman.
Ten years ago, another research group, Newspoll, conducted a similar survey and found at that time, support for same-sex marriage was only 38 per cent.
"With Australians across all key demographics supporting marriage equality in record numbers, it's fair to say the public has made up its mind. The community debate is over, and it's time for politicians to act," said Rodney Croome, Australia Marriage Equality director.
On Monday, New Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm said he plans to bring a private member's bill to redefine Australia's Marriage Act, which Parliament rejected on a 98 to 42 vote then because of Mr Abbott's stand not to allow Coalition MPs to vote according to their conscience.
The survey said 77 per cent of the participants want a conscience vote on the issue among MPs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date