72% of Australians Support Same-Sex Marriage
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 17, 2014 9:28 AM EST
More Australians are being open to accept different forms of marriage aside from the traditional male-female relationship. Results of the survey made by Crosby Textor, the national pollster for Prime Minister Tony Abbott's Liberal Party, said 72 per cent of 1,000 Aussies polled support marriage equality or recognising same-sex marriages.
Gay couple Andrew Wale (R) and Neil Allard. April 11 is The National Day of Silence celebrated to create awareness about the effect that bullying on basis of sexuality and gender expressions, brings to its victims (Photo: Reuters)
Of that percentage, more than half strongly support the move, which Mr Abbott disagrees with based on his personal beliefs. As head of the Coalition, the PM has consistently refused a conscience vote on the issue despite his having a lesbian sister who is in a relationship with another woman.
Ten years ago, another research group, Newspoll, conducted a similar survey and found at that time, support for same-sex marriage was only 38 per cent.
"With Australians across all key demographics supporting marriage equality in record numbers, it's fair to say the public has made up its mind. The community debate is over, and it's time for politicians to act," said Rodney Croome, Australia Marriage Equality director.
On Monday, New Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm said he plans to bring a private member's bill to redefine Australia's Marriage Act, which Parliament rejected on a 98 to 42 vote then because of Mr Abbott's stand not to allow Coalition MPs to vote according to their conscience.
The survey said 77 per cent of the participants want a conscience vote on the issue among MPs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports