72% of Australians Support Same-Sex Marriage
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 17, 2014 9:28 AM EST
More Australians are being open to accept different forms of marriage aside from the traditional male-female relationship. Results of the survey made by Crosby Textor, the national pollster for Prime Minister Tony Abbott's Liberal Party, said 72 per cent of 1,000 Aussies polled support marriage equality or recognising same-sex marriages.
Gay couple Andrew Wale (R) and Neil Allard. April 11 is The National Day of Silence celebrated to create awareness about the effect that bullying on basis of sexuality and gender expressions, brings to its victims (Photo: Reuters)
Of that percentage, more than half strongly support the move, which Mr Abbott disagrees with based on his personal beliefs. As head of the Coalition, the PM has consistently refused a conscience vote on the issue despite his having a lesbian sister who is in a relationship with another woman.
Ten years ago, another research group, Newspoll, conducted a similar survey and found at that time, support for same-sex marriage was only 38 per cent.
"With Australians across all key demographics supporting marriage equality in record numbers, it's fair to say the public has made up its mind. The community debate is over, and it's time for politicians to act," said Rodney Croome, Australia Marriage Equality director.
On Monday, New Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm said he plans to bring a private member's bill to redefine Australia's Marriage Act, which Parliament rejected on a 98 to 42 vote then because of Mr Abbott's stand not to allow Coalition MPs to vote according to their conscience.
The survey said 77 per cent of the participants want a conscience vote on the issue among MPs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed