72% of Australians Support Same-Sex Marriage
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 17, 2014 9:28 AM EST
More Australians are being open to accept different forms of marriage aside from the traditional male-female relationship. Results of the survey made by Crosby Textor, the national pollster for Prime Minister Tony Abbott's Liberal Party, said 72 per cent of 1,000 Aussies polled support marriage equality or recognising same-sex marriages.
Gay couple Andrew Wale (R) and Neil Allard. April 11 is The National Day of Silence celebrated to create awareness about the effect that bullying on basis of sexuality and gender expressions, brings to its victims (Photo: Reuters)
Of that percentage, more than half strongly support the move, which Mr Abbott disagrees with based on his personal beliefs. As head of the Coalition, the PM has consistently refused a conscience vote on the issue despite his having a lesbian sister who is in a relationship with another woman.
Ten years ago, another research group, Newspoll, conducted a similar survey and found at that time, support for same-sex marriage was only 38 per cent.
"With Australians across all key demographics supporting marriage equality in record numbers, it's fair to say the public has made up its mind. The community debate is over, and it's time for politicians to act," said Rodney Croome, Australia Marriage Equality director.
On Monday, New Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm said he plans to bring a private member's bill to redefine Australia's Marriage Act, which Parliament rejected on a 98 to 42 vote then because of Mr Abbott's stand not to allow Coalition MPs to vote according to their conscience.
The survey said 77 per cent of the participants want a conscience vote on the issue among MPs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2