Boxing News 2014: Freddie Roach Accuses Juan Manuel Marquez of Using Steroids, Slams Mexican Boxer for $20 M Asking Purse for Rematch 4
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 10:07 PM EST
The apparent reason why Top Rank offered WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri $1.5 million to fight eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao on Nov 22 at Macau is because the 30-year-old boxer's guaranteed purse is considerably lesser than what Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez is reportedly asking.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
Sweet Science.com claimed that Marquez is asking for a $20 million guaranteed purse, but Freddie Roach, the coach of Pacquiao, found the amount too large and believes that a more reasonable amount is $10 million for a fourth rematch.
But Top Rank Promotions boss Arum debunked the report, saying that El Dinamita hasn't mentioned any amount involved because their New York meeting over the weekend didn't push through because of a death in Marquez's family.
"Ihaven't talked at all with Marquez. That's just made up nonsense and they're negotiating on the Internet," Arum said.
Kdramastars.com also said Roach had accused Marquez of using steroids in his previous fights, linking his higher asking price to medical expenses.
Algieri, in turn, also found the $1.5 million offer too low - even if his previous bout against Ruslan Provodnikov had a guaranteed purse of only $100,000 - which explains why Pacquiao's camp gave him a deadline to reply or risk losing the 7-digit offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy