Boxing News 2014: Freddie Roach Accuses Juan Manuel Marquez of Using Steroids, Slams Mexican Boxer for $20 M Asking Purse for Rematch 4
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 10:07 PM EST
The apparent reason why Top Rank offered WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri $1.5 million to fight eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao on Nov 22 at Macau is because the 30-year-old boxer's guaranteed purse is considerably lesser than what Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez is reportedly asking.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
Sweet Science.com claimed that Marquez is asking for a $20 million guaranteed purse, but Freddie Roach, the coach of Pacquiao, found the amount too large and believes that a more reasonable amount is $10 million for a fourth rematch.
But Top Rank Promotions boss Arum debunked the report, saying that El Dinamita hasn't mentioned any amount involved because their New York meeting over the weekend didn't push through because of a death in Marquez's family.
"Ihaven't talked at all with Marquez. That's just made up nonsense and they're negotiating on the Internet," Arum said.
Kdramastars.com also said Roach had accused Marquez of using steroids in his previous fights, linking his higher asking price to medical expenses.
Algieri, in turn, also found the $1.5 million offer too low - even if his previous bout against Ruslan Provodnikov had a guaranteed purse of only $100,000 - which explains why Pacquiao's camp gave him a deadline to reply or risk losing the 7-digit offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air