Boxing News 2014: Freddie Roach Accuses Juan Manuel Marquez of Using Steroids, Slams Mexican Boxer for $20 M Asking Purse for Rematch 4
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 10:07 PM EST
The apparent reason why Top Rank offered WBO junior welterweight champion Chris Algieri $1.5 million to fight eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao on Nov 22 at Macau is because the 30-year-old boxer's guaranteed purse is considerably lesser than what Mexican boxer Juan Manuel Marquez is reportedly asking.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines watches as Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico is knocked down in the fifth round of their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada December 8, 2012.[REUTERS/STEVE MARCUS]
Sweet Science.com claimed that Marquez is asking for a $20 million guaranteed purse, but Freddie Roach, the coach of Pacquiao, found the amount too large and believes that a more reasonable amount is $10 million for a fourth rematch.
But Top Rank Promotions boss Arum debunked the report, saying that El Dinamita hasn't mentioned any amount involved because their New York meeting over the weekend didn't push through because of a death in Marquez's family.
"Ihaven't talked at all with Marquez. That's just made up nonsense and they're negotiating on the Internet," Arum said.
Kdramastars.com also said Roach had accused Marquez of using steroids in his previous fights, linking his higher asking price to medical expenses.
Algieri, in turn, also found the $1.5 million offer too low - even if his previous bout against Ruslan Provodnikov had a guaranteed purse of only $100,000 - which explains why Pacquiao's camp gave him a deadline to reply or risk losing the 7-digit offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS