Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Expects $70 Million Purse from May 3 1st Bout With Maidana, While Argentinean Boxer Pockets Measly $1.5 Million Plus PPV Sales Share
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 9:55 PM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr is not called Money May for nothing. On Monday, during the first of the four-city promotion for his Sept 13 rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, Mayweather said he expects to earn $70 million from his first bout with Maidana on May 3.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The figure combines his guaranteed purse of $40 million and pay-per-view buys. In contrast, Maidana pocketed only a measly $1.5 million, plus his smaller share of PPV buys.
He then dared Maidana to bet his earnings for the rematch as a proof that the Argentinean boxer believes in his skills.
"So if you believe in your skills like you say you believe in your skills, however much you're making for the fight, I'll bet I'll beat you," Mayweather dared.
He added, "If he believes in his skills, bet the fight. Either you're going to bet or not."
As part of his strategy to erase doubts about his win in their first bout which was not a unanimous decision, Mayweather accused Maidana of fighting dirty and using MMA moves.
"If he can beat me, do it the honest way, earn it the hard way. But I gotta realise this, I know where I'm at my career because I was a champion when your trainer was champion. It's been almost 20 years and I'm still here," Money May said.
But Maidana replied that he would prove in the rematch who is the better fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand