Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Expects $70 Million Purse from May 3 1st Bout With Maidana, While Argentinean Boxer Pockets Measly $1.5 Million Plus PPV Sales Share
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 9:55 PM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr is not called Money May for nothing. On Monday, during the first of the four-city promotion for his Sept 13 rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, Mayweather said he expects to earn $70 million from his first bout with Maidana on May 3.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The figure combines his guaranteed purse of $40 million and pay-per-view buys. In contrast, Maidana pocketed only a measly $1.5 million, plus his smaller share of PPV buys.
He then dared Maidana to bet his earnings for the rematch as a proof that the Argentinean boxer believes in his skills.
"So if you believe in your skills like you say you believe in your skills, however much you're making for the fight, I'll bet I'll beat you," Mayweather dared.
He added, "If he believes in his skills, bet the fight. Either you're going to bet or not."
As part of his strategy to erase doubts about his win in their first bout which was not a unanimous decision, Mayweather accused Maidana of fighting dirty and using MMA moves.
"If he can beat me, do it the honest way, earn it the hard way. But I gotta realise this, I know where I'm at my career because I was a champion when your trainer was champion. It's been almost 20 years and I'm still here," Money May said.
But Maidana replied that he would prove in the rematch who is the better fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff