Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Expects $70 Million Purse from May 3 1st Bout With Maidana, While Argentinean Boxer Pockets Measly $1.5 Million Plus PPV Sales Share
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 9:55 PM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr is not called Money May for nothing. On Monday, during the first of the four-city promotion for his Sept 13 rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, Mayweather said he expects to earn $70 million from his first bout with Maidana on May 3.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The figure combines his guaranteed purse of $40 million and pay-per-view buys. In contrast, Maidana pocketed only a measly $1.5 million, plus his smaller share of PPV buys.
He then dared Maidana to bet his earnings for the rematch as a proof that the Argentinean boxer believes in his skills.
"So if you believe in your skills like you say you believe in your skills, however much you're making for the fight, I'll bet I'll beat you," Mayweather dared.
He added, "If he believes in his skills, bet the fight. Either you're going to bet or not."
As part of his strategy to erase doubts about his win in their first bout which was not a unanimous decision, Mayweather accused Maidana of fighting dirty and using MMA moves.
"If he can beat me, do it the honest way, earn it the hard way. But I gotta realise this, I know where I'm at my career because I was a champion when your trainer was champion. It's been almost 20 years and I'm still here," Money May said.
But Maidana replied that he would prove in the rematch who is the better fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air