Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Expects $70 Million Purse from May 3 1st Bout With Maidana, While Argentinean Boxer Pockets Measly $1.5 Million Plus PPV Sales Share
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 16, 2014 9:55 PM EST
Unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr is not called Money May for nothing. On Monday, during the first of the four-city promotion for his Sept 13 rematch with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, Mayweather said he expects to earn $70 million from his first bout with Maidana on May 3.
Marcos Maidana (L) of Argentina takes a punch from Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. during their WBC/WBA welterweight unification fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
The figure combines his guaranteed purse of $40 million and pay-per-view buys. In contrast, Maidana pocketed only a measly $1.5 million, plus his smaller share of PPV buys.
He then dared Maidana to bet his earnings for the rematch as a proof that the Argentinean boxer believes in his skills.
"So if you believe in your skills like you say you believe in your skills, however much you're making for the fight, I'll bet I'll beat you," Mayweather dared.
He added, "If he believes in his skills, bet the fight. Either you're going to bet or not."
As part of his strategy to erase doubts about his win in their first bout which was not a unanimous decision, Mayweather accused Maidana of fighting dirty and using MMA moves.
"If he can beat me, do it the honest way, earn it the hard way. But I gotta realise this, I know where I'm at my career because I was a champion when your trainer was champion. It's been almost 20 years and I'm still here," Money May said.
But Maidana replied that he would prove in the rematch who is the better fighter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]