Destiny Beta Progress Discussed as Dev Talks Expectations and Differences from Alpha Version
By Gel Galang | July 16, 2014 8:36 PM EST
"Destiny" is getting its beta this week for PS4 and PS3 players, with those on the Xbox One and Xbox 360 following shortly a week after.
Gamers play a game by Bungie Inc. at the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo, known as E3, in Los Angeles, California, June 10, 2014.
But it seems that Bungie may be treating the beta version as more like a testing ground rather than a pilot test for the actual final input for the game.
GameSpot reports that the Bungie is still debating on whether or not the beta will see light in the final version of "Destiny."
"The beta is a test. It's extremely unknown as to what the outcome will be," said David Deej Dague, community manager for "Destiny" in an interview quoted by GameSpot. "So, it's certainly not a promise or an announcement that we're making at this time. It all depends on what we learn and how things shake out. So, we're certainly not telling players they can carry their progress over, but we haven't made any announcements either way."
In most cases of beta runs, the participants get to transfer their progress for when they get the actual final version of the title. This includes the obtained weapons and level progression that a player has already achieved. Hopefully, Bungie will give more news as to what their decision would be regarding "Destiny's" beta progress, as those on PlayStation platforms will soon be enjoying their run in a few days.
The beta run of "Destiny" also seems to be more bent towards creating a better platform for gamers, compared to what was already showcased in its alpha run. BGR reports that leaked images have been circulating to show off the content that players can look forward to in the game.
One of the leaks include the fact that "Destiny" beta will have four story chapters, a cooperative Strike mission, four multiplayer maps, and its promised expansive world which you can explore accordingly with your Guardian.
This is a far bigger world compared to what was seen in the alpha mode, where there was only one of story chapter, one multiplayer map and one Strike mission, which covers a far smaller scope in exploring the game.
Whatever the case for the "Destiny" beta will be, there's still some time for the developers to input beta findings until the launch of the final "Destiny" version on the PS4, PS3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 on September 9.
'Destiny' Companion App Brings More Info for Guardians
In the recent releases of games, players have seen the rise of companion apps on smartphones, whether they serve as second screens for playing or as logs where players can check the data of their characters even when they are not hooked to their consoles.
"Destiny" is not exception, as Bungie also introduces a companion app that shows off quite a bit of information that will be helpful for players. IGN reports that the app will allow players to check character stats and missions, and even 3D models of the weapons and items that they acquire in-game, all of which are instantly connected to the app.
For now, only the iOS version of the app is compatible and usable during the beta run of "Destiny" but an Android and web version will be made available once the game is launched. Best of all, the "Destiny" companion app is free.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Xbox One News: Games with Gold for August Announced; Updates for Progress in China
- The SIMS 4 on Sept 2 Release: Low Demands Specs, No Toddlers or Pools and 3 Premium Packs
- Selena Gomez Allegedly Back in Rehab, Hugs Nat Wolff the Night Justin Bieber & Orlando Bloom Made Headlines in Ibiza
- Girls Star Allison Williams to Play Titular Role in NBC's Peter Pan Live
- Kendall Jenner Forbids Sister Kim Kardashian from Attending her Fashion Shows, Considers her Presence a Hindrance - Reports
- Kendall Jenner Ignores Kim Kardashian Big Time, Tries to Befriend Beyonce - Reports
- Apple Mac Remains Strong Despite Challenging PC Market, iPhone Remains a Winner Through Q3 Price Points