Vagina Selfie Artist Arrested: Photo of Privates Lands Her in Jail, But Thinks 'It's Funny To Decorate' Her Vagina
By Tanya Diente | July 16, 2014 4:23 PM EST
A Japanese artist, who claimed she enjoys taking vagina selfies, has been arrested due to breach of obscenity laws in Japan. However, she said she finds her pictures are not obscene, and even thinks it is "funny to decorate" her vagina and turn it into a diorama.
Megumi Igarashi is an artist who has a different take on what a kayak should look like. Working under the pseudonym Rokudenashiko - which roughly translates as "good-for-nothing girl," Megumi took a selfie of her vagina and printed it using a 3D printer. She then sent these photos to 30 people who were willing to pay for her creation. According to Brian Ashcraft of Kotaku, Megumi's creation is called a "pussy boat" (see photo from The Guardian).
However, her attempt at sales ended her in jail and with a fine estimating to $10,000, according to Daily Record.
Megumi has reportedly broken Japan's obscenity laws, which prohibits the release or distribution of any images relating to the female and male genitalia.
However, Megumi said she did not send the photos for money and also thinks the 3D photos were not obscene. Kotaku reported police heard her say "I don't think this is obscene."
Additionally, Daily Record reported that Megumi wrote on her blog, bashing at people who view her "art" as obscene.
" I make art pieces with my vagina, which I would rather call Manko (MK)," she wrote. Manko in Japanese is the exact slang for the female genitalia.
"I thought it was just funny to decorate my vagina and make into a diorama, but I was very surprised to see how upset people get when they see my works or even hear me say the word Manko," she added.
Megumi said she started making the "pussy boats" because she doesn't know what other vaginas looked like. She admitted to have been too self-conscious of her vagina since she thought hers looked abnormal.
Megumi intends to alter the perception of the Japanese society about the word Manko and even images pertaining to the vagina through her art. According to the week, her "vaginal battle scene" diorama incorporated her own genitalia. Kotaku added that last month, she also featured her vagina in her creation, the "Gundam Pussy."
"Penis, on the other hand, has been used in illustrations and has become a part of pop culture," she said.
Megumi Igarashi thinks vagina "has never been so cute" since it's a taboo in Japan. She also thinks the Japanese society regards the vagina as obscene because it's "been overly hidden," despite the fact that it's just another part of a woman's body.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff