Rihanna Deletes #FreePalestine Tweet, Social Media Explodes with Criticism
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | July 16, 2014 12:37 PM EST
Rihanna tweeted "#FreePalestine" and speedily deleted it within minutes. She was, however, not successful in hushing up the tweet as some already took snapshots of her tweet. The #FreePalestine tweet was retweeted by almost 7,000 people and favourited by nearly 5,000 of them before she could delete it.
Singer Rihanna arrives for the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Awards at Lincoln Center in New York June 2, 2014.
The singer presently has around 36.4M followers on Twitter. Several of them follow her Twitter activity quite religiously. That was why she probably could not manage to hide her tweet for 8 minutes. Rihanna apparently decided to be "politically correct" without taking any side. She posted another tweet where she asked for peace. "Let's pray for peace and a swift end to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict!" Rihanna tweeted. However, she seemed unsure of the possibilities of peace in the same tweet. "Is there any hope?" she wondered.
However, it was seemingly too late for the Barbadian singer to stop people on social media from criticising her. "Israel supporters made Rihanna delete this. Apparently, a #FreePalestine is too much for fascists," Thaher Pelaseyed wrote. Lobna Darwish wrote that even such a huge celebrity like Rihanna was not able to "speak up her mind freely when it comes to #FreePalestine." Some people like Nader asked Rihanna to explain who forced her to delete the tweet.
Hussain Sheikh did not care why Rihanna deleted the tweet. He was glad that "she at least tweeted it." Hot Mess thought that it was brave of the singer to tweet #FreePalestine even though she deleted it. "She knew people would see it and talk," he tweeted. Crazydil (WC Mode) asked Rihanna if she could call herself a "free person" if she was not able to say what she felt." Gülѕeɴ Mayęrs Δ$ΔΡ called Rihanna "chicken-hearted" as she deleted the tweet. "When People with Power would start to Say STOP !! It's sure that The Israel's crimes would Stop !" she tweeted.
Earlier, NBA All-Star Dwight Howard apologised for a similar #FreePalestine tweet. He too deleted the tweet after a while like Rihanna. Calling it a "mistake," he said that he never "commented on international politics and never will."
HERE is a snapshot of the deleted tweet.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation